- Table View
- List View
The history of diets, weightloss, and health has been a volatile one. Once we thought that calories were all that mattered, then we decided it was fat that was the enemy, then came the low-carb craze. The current conventional wisdom is that there's no one, easy answer, and all of these factors contribute to weight gain and health in different ways. Perhaps the most unexpected discovery is that some fats (like olive oil and omega fats) are actually good for you! This book is the first available resource that really gets to the bottom of current dietary thinking. It is invaluable for calculating the amount and type of fats, calories and carbs in over 3,500 foods commonly found on supermarket shelves and in restaurants. For dieters on everything from the South Beach Diet to the Mediterranean Diet to the Fat Smash Diet, this is the go-to resource for getting the most up-to-date and complete nutrition information available.
EAT RIGHT -- LIVE MUCH LONGER! Heart disease is the number-one killer of men and women in the United States. Yet, in many cases, this deadly condition is preventable. Simply by switching to a heart-healthy diet, the risk of heart disease can be significantly reduced . . . by as much as 70%! No longer will confusing, outdated information and misconceptions about what truly constitutes a heart-strengthening diet be an impediment to a healthy lifestyle. Foods That Combat Heart Disease breaks down all the research and presents the all-important findings in a clear and comprehensive format. This indispensable guidebook includes: An easy-to-use nutrition counter featuring more than 2,000 foods, highlighting their heart disease-fighting properties Menu plans and delicious, heart-friendly recipes for every meal of the day The latest facts and research presented in a readable and accessible language Invaluable tips on how to get started today on your new, heart-healthy lifestyle! FOODS THAT COMBAT HEART DISEASE A fresh start to a healthier life!
Provides caregivers with compassionate strategies for dealing with the challenges related to Alzheimer's, from memory loss and behavior problems to maintaining quality of life and taking important legal steps.
Your Struggling Child: A Guide to Diagnosing, Understanding, and Advocating for Your Child with Learning, Behavior, or Emotional Problemby Lynn Sonberg Robert F. Newby
Here is a practical, compassionate book parents can turn to when they first recognize that their child has a "problem" -- but aren't sure what it is or where to seek help. At this very moment, millions of children across the U.S. are falling behind in school, acting out impulsively at home, having problems making friends, suffering dramatic mood swings, and more. Their parents are frustrated and afraid, aware that something's wrong, but not sure where to turn for help or how to cope with their child's behavior. "Is it a learning disorder, ADHD, anxiety disorder, or some combination?" they wonder. "Are these moods and behaviors normal or abnormal? Will my child outgrow them?" This book by a noted neuropsychologist explains the different and overlapping symptoms of learning, mood, and behavior disorders and guides parents in getting the right diagnosis and treatment. Dr. Newby demystifies the process and empowers parents. Step by step, he explains: --How to observe and chart your child's behavior--a critical diagnostic tool --What to expect during the evaluation and treatment process --How to partner with medical and school professionals to assist your child and what to do when conflicts arise Clear and comprehensive, this supportive guide will be every parent's first line of defense in helping a troubled child.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.