- Table View
- List View
Sophie and Sam Shattenberg are two Jewish sisters from Queens, New York. Both love knishes and kosher pickles. Both have said I'm walkin' here! to cab drivers -- and meant it. When the unthinkable happens and their father dies, the girls are devastated. Desperate to get away from their greedy stepmother, they withdraw their father's money from the bank, pick up fake IDs, and hit the road. All is well until their car breaks down outside of Venice, Indiana, a town so isolated that the mechanic tells them, "You could get lost here forever". Which is exactly what they decide to do.... When Sophie starts school, she notices a flyer for a lecture featuring Professor Leo Shattenberg. Could this be their grandfather's missing cousin, believed to be dead since World War II? At the lecture, Sam and Sophie discover that Professor Shattenberg has a missing person of his own -- a childhood sweetheart who, like him, had a love of chocolate. Seeing their chance, the girls offer to help the professor find his missing sweetheart -- all the time running their own investigation of him.
Sophie and Sam Shattenberg are two Jewish sisters from Queens, New York. Both love knishes and kosher pickles. Both have said "I'm walkin' here!" to cab drivers -- and meant it. When the unthinkable happens and their father dies, the girls are devastated. Desperate to get away from their greedy stepmother, they withdraw their father's money from the bank, pick up fake IDs, and hit the road. All is well until their car breaks down outside of Venice, Indiana, a town so isolated that the mechanic tells them, "You could get lost here forever". Which is exactly what they decide to do.... Sam and Sophie arrive in the small town of Venice, decide to stay, and try to blend in. They get jobs, make friends, and practice "talking the talk" instead of "tawking the tawk". Then the most popular girl in town -- the queen of the upcoming Rose Festival -- disappears. The sisters were the last people to see her and so become prime suspects. Sophie and Sam realize that they're going to have to find the missing girl themselves if they want to clear their names. Even if their names are fake....
When Sophie shares her late mother's matzo ball soup recipe with the owner of the local diner, she realizes that she's made a slip. But she has no idea just how much trouble it will cause. After adding a few Midwestern touches to the soup, Wilda enters it in a cooking contest and wins first prize! She's going to be featured on a television cooking show and she wants Sophie to appear with her. Then, when the cast and crew of the show arrive in town, the chef disappears. Now Sophie and Sam have to find him, and find a way to prevent Sophie's face from being broadcast on national television.
After assuming new identities and hitting the road to escape their wicked stepmother, New York City natives Sophie and Sam find themselves calling small-town Venice, Indiana, home. Venice is a far cry from New York -- which isn't always easy for the sisters -- but it's the perfect place for them to settle down and try to blend in. Teaming up with the local private investigator, the two sisters begin working on a series of missing persons cases... while at the same time trying to stay missing themselves.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.