- Table View
- List View
This new edition of Manfred Steger's award-winning book explores the three principal ideologies of our time: the dominant "market globalism" based on a neoliberal vision of the world as a single marketplace, the "justice globalism" developed over the last decade by a transnational coalition of global civil society forces, and the "jihadist globalism" of radical Islamists seeking to galvanize their global community of believers into violent action. Market globalism has responded to these challengers by turning into "imperial globalism"-a political belief system that marries the capitalist language of the 1990s with the security concerns of our post-9/11 world. Steger, one of the world's leading scholars on these subjects, explores globalization's central questions: What, exactly, are the core claims of these conflicting globalisms? How does the imperial globalism of the 2000s differ from the market globalism of the 1990s? How has justice globalism managed to mature into a coherent ideology? What are the most likely future trajectories of this great ideological struggle of the twenty-first century? Written with impressive historical and theoretical breadth, this groundbreaking work is essential reading for all those concerned with the key questions that our shrinking world must face.
"Globalization" has become the buzz-word of our time. A growing number of scholars and political activists have invoked the term to describe a variety of changing economic, political, cultural, ideological, and environmental processes that are alleged to have accelerated in the last few decades. Rather than forcing such a complex social phenomenon into a single conceptual framework, Manfred Steger presents globalization in plain, readable English as a multifaceted process encompassing global, regional, and local aspects of social life. In addition to explaining the various dimensions of globalization, the author explores whether globalization should be considered a "good" or "bad" thing--a question that has been hotly debated in classrooms, boardrooms, and on the streets.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.