- Table View
- List View
This new edition of Manfred Steger's award-winning book explores the three principal ideologies of our time: the dominant "market globalism" based on a neoliberal vision of the world as a single marketplace, the "justice globalism" developed over the last decade by a transnational coalition of global civil society forces, and the "jihadist globalism" of radical Islamists seeking to galvanize their global community of believers into violent action. Market globalism has responded to these challengers by turning into "imperial globalism"-a political belief system that marries the capitalist language of the 1990s with the security concerns of our post-9/11 world. Steger, one of the world's leading scholars on these subjects, explores globalization's central questions: What, exactly, are the core claims of these conflicting globalisms? How does the imperial globalism of the 2000s differ from the market globalism of the 1990s? How has justice globalism managed to mature into a coherent ideology? What are the most likely future trajectories of this great ideological struggle of the twenty-first century? Written with impressive historical and theoretical breadth, this groundbreaking work is essential reading for all those concerned with the key questions that our shrinking world must face.
"Globalization" has become the buzz-word of our time. A growing number of scholars and political activists have invoked the term to describe a variety of changing economic, political, cultural, ideological, and environmental processes that are alleged to have accelerated in the last few decades. Rather than forcing such a complex social phenomenon into a single conceptual framework, Manfred Steger presents globalization in plain, readable English as a multifaceted process encompassing global, regional, and local aspects of social life. In addition to explaining the various dimensions of globalization, the author explores whether globalization should be considered a "good" or "bad" thing--a question that has been hotly debated in classrooms, boardrooms, and on the streets.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.