- Table View
- List View
"I was fifteen when my mother finally told me about my father. She didn't mean to. She meant to keep it a secret forever. If she'd succeeded, it might have saved us all."Roberta and Cynthia are destined to be best friends forever. When both your fathers are missing, you have a lot in common. Unable to cope with her alcoholic mother, Roberta finds Cynthia's house the perfect, carefree refuge.Cynthia's mother keeps beautiful rare butterflies on her sunporch and she's everything Roberta wishes her own mother could be. But just like the delicate creatures they nurture, the women are living in a hothouse.Years later, a hauntingly familiar stranger knocks at Roberta Dutreau's door, forcing her to begin a journey back to her childhood. But is she ready to know the truth about what happened to her, her best friend Cynthia and their mothers that tragic night ten years ago?
"Dear Stranger, You don't know me, but you are my hero. My husband, Mason, received your son's heart. You have given him a new life." With the tragic death of her teenage son, Claire O'Neal lost more than Nathan-she lost her direction. Now, three years after his death, her life remains flat and hopeless. But with the unexpected discovery of a forgotten letter, written by the wife of the man who received Nathan's heart,Claire feelss as if she has been given a chance to connect again with her son According to the letter, Mason MacKinnon is a talented violinist and happily mareried. Perhaps, if she could meet him, Nathan's death would finally have some meaning. But when she finds Mason, he is playing piano in a seedy bar, a cynical, chain -smoking man, down on his luck and in no mood for Claire. What has happened to him in the years since his wife wrote to Claire? How dare he abuse the precious gift given to him by Claire's son? Saving a man who has lost his family, his illustrious career and his will to livbe is no easy task, but Claire is driven with a purpose that borders obsession. And as two lost, lonely people learn to find hope once again, they grow to understand that life holds beautiful music still comes straight from the heart. With a clear eye, acclaimed author Marcia Preston shows how our lives can be connected in strange, unexpected and sometimes wonderful ways.
An act of desperation divides a mother and her child. Only an act of faith can reunite them.Trudy Hulst has no idea if her husband survived his attempted escape past the newly constructed Berlin Wall. But she knows too well the consequences of his actions. Now branded the wife of a defector, she faces a life in prison. With no real choice, she is forced to follow, praying she can find a way to claim their child once she's in West Berlin.Trudy survives a harrowing break for freedom...only to learn her husband was shot during his escape. Terribly alone, she wanders the wall like a ghost, living for brief glimpses of her son, now out of reach behind barbed wire and armed soldiers. Desperate to regain her child, Trudy begins a journey that leads her to America,where she continues an odyssey of hope to find her son.
Marik Youngblood left her Oklahoma hometown-and the child she gave up for adoption-intent on becoming an artist instead of a rancher. Her father's death brings her back to a failing cattle operation, a pile of debt and a haunting need to find the child she left behind. But when the bones of an infant are unearthed on her family's ranch, Marik fears she's learned her daughter's fate.Burt and Lena Gurdman own the property that neighbors Killdeer Ridge Ranch. Lena is poor and uneducated, with a husband who's quick to blame her for any perceived wrong, but she knows she and Marik have more in common than the property line between them. She, too, has a secret...but to reveal the truth, she must find the courage to explore a past she buried long ago.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.