- Table View
- List View
For decades, medicine saw men and women as essentially the same physically except in the area of reproduction. However, a new and groundbreaking science of gender-specific medicine has discovered astonishing distinctions between male and female bodies. From the thickness of our skin to the signs of a heart attack to ways we metabolize drugs, the sexes have significant physiological differences. But, what do these differences mean to you and your doctor?In this groundbreaking book, internationally respected academic physician and lecturer, Dr. Marianne Legato pulls together more than a decade of research into sex-specific health. The result is a powerful tool for anyone interested in the critical nuances in the ways men and women might present symptoms or be treated for disease. It's a book that will not only change the way you think about women's health, it just might save your life.
After traveling the country and listening to women's most common health problems, Dr. Marianne Legato, one of the nation's leading advocates for women's health, answers these common questions and more in WHAT WOMEN NEED TO KNOW. This revolutionary book teaches women how to ask their doctors the right questions and leave the office satisfied. Dr. Legato is also the author of THE FEMALE HEART, a book that dispels myths that heart disease is only a male problem. Her co-author on both books is Carol Colman, one of the country's leading medical writers.
From the Publisher Men and women ARE different . . . and this book from the founder of gender medicine uncovers the neuroscientific reasons behind age-old disputes between men and women, while providing a groundbreaking, authoritative, and reader-friendly guide to resolving these differences. Why won't he ask for directions? Why does she always want to talk about the relationship? Why can't he see that something is bothering her?* But perhaps the biggest questions Why Men Never Remember and Women Never Forget resolves are: Why is it so hard for men and women to understand each other . . . and what can we do about it? According to Dr. Marianne Legato, an internationally recognized expert in gender-specific medicine, male and female brains are chemically and structurally different. And scientists are now finding out how these differences cause us to approach problems and experience the world in such dissimilar ways. So how do we bridge this physiological gap? Dr. Legato provides strategies and tips for learning to "think" like the other sex in order to get past our differences-and offers smart advice for dealing with issues wherever they arise. This trailblazing book will enable readers to understand each other-in both personal and professional relationships-like never before.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.