Thirteen-year-old Gabe Carpenter is just like any other middle-school boy at St. Jude Academy...well, except for the fact that he is a genius who can't even open his own locker or talk to his crush. Themes include: self-acceptance, giftedness, and humor.
Gabe--St. Jude's resident genius--is back for his final year of middle school. As an eighth grader, he must fulfill a community service requirement and decide if he will attend a high school for science and math.
It's the end of fifth grade, and eleven-year-old Annie is ready to move to middle school. But first, she must complete a self portrait for the end-of-year project--and present it to the class. Annie's fear of public speaking isn't her only problem. Two of the girls in her class seem determined to make her life miserable. And how is she supposed to create a self-portrait in the first place? She loves words, but how can words show who she is? Ideal for ages 9-11.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.