- Table View
- List View
An easy chapter book for third grade readers or any children ready to try their first mystery story with clues, fingerprints, stolen property, witnesses, and surprises. The Scientific Detective Club has 2 members, the twins Kate and Mickey. On St. Patrick's Day they discover a large green shamrock painted on Miss Wink's door. Worse still, someone has been in her apartment and one of her new kittens is missing and a note has been left behind from The Shamrock Gang. The gang has been to the twins' club house, too, and the money in their treasury is missing. Combining Kate's interest in science and Mickey's interest in investigation, will the twins solve the mystery and find the missing kitten and money? And how do they find a new member of the club, a little boy who needs friends and has never been to a St. Patrick's Day parade?
"HOW COULD A WHOLE MARCHING BAND JUST DISAPPEAR? That's what the Dixon Twins wondered when they heard the news. Mickey was all excited. She'd always wanted to be a detective and she was sure she'd get to the bottom of this mystery all by herself. Her sister Kate was more interested in the mysteries of science. But, as usual, it was Kate's scientific observations along with Mickey's detective skills that solved THE THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE MYSTERY." Bookshare has more holiday books about the twins Kate and Mickey including, The Valentine's Day Mystery, and The St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Mystery.
The twins, Mickey who wants to be a detective, and Kate who wants to be a scientist, are invited to their neighbor's Valentine's party. The guest of honor, a visiting musician can't give his mother's beautiful pin to Miss Wink for Valentine's Day because it has been stolen. The girls help the police solve the puzzle. This is an intelligent first mystery book rich in language and ideas. In six short chapters, young readers can read by themselves or read with adults who can help them understand motive, opportunity, gathering clues and interviewing suspects. Look for Mickey and Kate in The St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Mystery also available from Bookshare.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.