- Table View
- List View
Unfriendly analysis of the Bush Presidency.
Talk Back / Fight Back Patient, client, employee, small business owner, taxpayer, investor, consumer-it's time to defend yourself! Why should anyone tolerate an HMO not paying for his emergency surgery because he didn't give notice beforehand or accept a higher auto insurance rate because she lives in a low-income community? A large body of laws and regulations exists to give average workers and consumers the tools to talk back and fight back.
Mumford-Tate groups are the fundamental symmetry groups of Hodge theory, a subject which rests at the center of contemporary complex algebraic geometry. This book is the first comprehensive exploration of Mumford-Tate groups and domains. Containing basic theory and a wealth of new views and results, it will become an essential resource for graduate students and researchers. Although Mumford-Tate groups can be defined for general structures, their theory and use to date has mainly been in the classical case of abelian varieties. While the book does examine this area, it focuses on the nonclassical case. The general theory turns out to be very rich, such as in the unexpected connections of finite dimensional and infinite dimensional representation theory of real, semisimple Lie groups. The authors give the complete classification of Hodge representations, a topic that should become a standard in the finite-dimensional representation theory of noncompact, real, semisimple Lie groups. They also indicate that in the future, a connection seems ready to be made between Lie groups that admit discrete series representations and the study of automorphic cohomology on quotients of Mumford-Tate domains by arithmetic groups. Bringing together complex geometry, representation theory, and arithmetic, this book opens up a fresh perspective on an important subject.
With CEOs and corporations under fire for years of outrageous deception and fraud, the time has come for Mark Green's groundbreaking book, Selling Out. A political watchdog and longtime crusader for better government, Green exposes the truth about the poisonous role money has come to play in our political culture. How are so many corporations able to buy political protection? Why do legislators pay more attention to contributors than to constituents? Filled with bold and practical solutions that are already working to return power to the American people, Selling Out is sure to inflame anyone who's stunned by the recent corporate scandals -- or who's curious about how so many have gotten away with so much for so long.
Each contributor is a leading progressive author, scholar, or advocate in her or his field. Each has written an original essay answering a basic question-what kind of America do we want? What are new directions for this new era? Writers both discuss the state-of-the- play in their areas and propose solutions--from the practical to the visionary-that a sympathetic President and Congress could pursue in 2005 and accomplish by 2010.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.