- Table View
- List View
Since its founding in 1951, the Epidemic Intelligence Service has waged war on every imaginable ailment. When an epidemic hits, the EIS will be there to crack the case, however mysterious or deadly, saving countless lives in the process. Over the years they have successfully battled polio, cholera, and smallpox, to name a few, and in recent years have turned to the epidemics killing us now-smoking, obesity, and gun violence among them. The successful EIS model has spread internationally: former EIS officers on the staff of the Centers for Disease Control have helped to establish nearly thirty similar programs around the world. EIS veterans have gone on to become leaders in the world of public health in organizations such as the World Health Organization. Inside the Outbreaks takes readers on a riveting journey through the history of this remarkable organization, following Epidemic Intelligence Service officers on their globetrotting quest to eliminate the most lethal and widespread threats to the world's health.
The fascinating story of the mirror¿s invention, refinement, and use in a range of human activities -- from the bloodthirsty smoking gods of the Aztecs to the fantastic mirrored rooms wealthy Romans created for their orgies, to the mirror¿s role in gathering light from the far reaches of the universe. Tells of the 2,500-year mystery of whether Archimedes and his ¿burning mirror¿ really set fire to Roman ships; Isaac Newton¿s intense experiments with sunlight on mirrors that left him blind for 3 days; Renaissance artists who used mirrors to revolutionize realistic representations of the world; and George Hale and George Ritchey who joined forces to produce ever-larger telescope mirrors. Illustrations.
Pendergrast, an independent scholar and author, chronicles the history of coffee from its origins in Ethiopia to current trends and changes. This revised edition includes the recent crisis that flooded the marketplace with cheap coffee, the surge in sales and public awareness of Fair Trade coffee, the recession and its impact on Starbucks, and the role of the internet in making prices transparent and giving growers increased marketing opportunities. He traces the origins and dissemination of coffee throughout the Arab world and Europe, the modern coffee industry of late nineteenth- century America, coffee as a major consumer product in the twentieth century, and connected themes like its role in shaping governments, postponing the abolition of slavery, changing the natural environment, and driving economic growth, as well as the relationship between poor producing countries and wealthy consuming nations, health effects, trends in advertising, the process of growing and roasting beans, the shift towards higher quality, and key companies. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.