- Table View
- List View
Illus. in full color. Abraham Lincoln, one of our greatest presidents, started out in life as an absent-minded frontier lawyer. How did he nudge his memory? He stuck letters, court notes, contracts, and even his checkbook in his trademark top hat. When he took off his hat, it was all there!
From the Book Jacket: Streams of sparks and sprays of colored stars light up the dark sky, thundering blasts echo all around ... FIREWORKS TONIGHT! For centuries man has been playing with fire with dazzling, sometimes dire, results-and few things have as much power to astound and intrigue us. Martha Brenner's research has turned up a wealth of fascinating information on the world of pyrotechnics. She covers the history of fireworks from the primitive firecrackers developed some 2000 years ago in China to the breathtaking special effects of today, the tragic accidents that have led to current laws regulating their use, the intriguing step-by-step development of a modern fireworks show from the drawing board to the actual shooting. How are fireworks made? Very carefully! And almost entirely by hand, because metal machinery produces heat and static electricity that could easily ignite an entire building full of explosives. Who makes fireworks? Most are manufactured by a handful of dynamic, devoted families that have passed on their tricks and trademarks for generations. Fireworks Tonight! gives us profiles of them and their particular pyrotechnical styles. How do fireworks work? Martha Brenner explains that, too-in clear, scientific detail. And there's more. Fireworks Tonight! includes a trip behind the scenes at a fireworks show, a visit to a manufacturing plant, a section on safety, a list of the 50 states' current laws on their sale and use, an illustrated spectators' guide-to help fire works fans tell a roman candle from a rocket and a list of notable fireworks facts: the biggest display in history, the loudest, the longest .. . Generously illustrated with over 60 photo graphs and prints, Fireworks Tonight! is a lively, accurate, and comprehensive introduction to a subject of universal appeal.
This collection features three of our most popular biographies: Washington, the stoic general with a soft spot for animals; Jefferson, the brilliant statesman who was a foodie at heart, and Lincoln, the absentminded lawyer whose compassionate caseload foretold his presidency. Beginning readers will learn about little-known, illuminating events in the earlier years of these extraordinary men and how, long before entering the White House, they lived lives filled with intelligence, courage, and kindness--the hallmarks of a great president.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.