- Table View
- List View
In his eighth foster home since the death of his great-grandmother, 11-year-old Ben becomes very attached to a baby living with the same family and worries when the baby's biological mother takes him away.
Who's afraid of Fred the ghost? Unfortunately, no one!Fred the ghost is perfectly happy haunting his lonely old New Orleans house until Pierre and his daughter Marie move in and turn the house into . . . (horrors!) . . . a restaurant. They clean up his beloved dust. They fix the house's squeaks and leaks. And as much as Fred clanks and groans and haunts and moans, not one single diner is scared away. In fact, no one even notices him. Is it time for Fred to find a new home?A hungry ghost in more ways than one, Fred satisfies develops a taste for friendship--and beignets--in this deliciously satisfying New Orleans tale.From the Hardcover edition.
Basketball-loving Jackson Jones never wanted any part of Rooter's, the community garden where his mother got him his very own plot for his 10th birthday. But he made the best of it, even planting a thorny rosebush. Now, after months of watering, weeding, and waiting, red roses have finally bloomed. So when Jackson learns that big city developers want to bulldoze Rooter's, he can't believe it. The garden means something to him, and he likes hanging out with the neighbors who tend their own plots. But what can Jackson do? With unasked-for help from well-meaning friends--and going to great lengths to avoid a fearsome bully who loves to taunt him--Jackson sets out to save Rooter's. But coming up with a winning strategy isn't so easy. From the Hardcover edition.
JACKSON JONES CAN'T get away from roses. First his mother got him a plot at Rooter's, a community garden where Jackson planted a rosebush of thorns and no blooms. Now Mr. K. , a fellow gardener, enlists Jackson's help to rustle up some rare old-time roses. The kind that grow in cemeteries! And no sooner do Jackson and his friend Reuben take the rose cutting home than Reuben's gloom-and-doom talk of curses seems real.
Nothing but a big mess of trouble and weeds. . That's what Jackson Jones thinks of the garden plot his mother gives him for his tenth birthday. What happened to the basketball he's hoped and prayed for all year? When Jackson comes up with a moneymaking scheme for the garden, it doesn't seem so bad after all. He even cuts his friends in on the action. But before long, Jackson finds out that friends and business don't always mix. When the neighborhood bully calls him "Bouquet Jones," Jackson is ready to give up. Maybe gardens don't belong in cities after all. . . . Winner of the first annual Marguerite de Angeli Prize.
Nine-year-old Calvin's dream of having a pet of his own is partially fulfilled when his neighbor Jenny gets a hamster named Pizzazz for her magic act.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.