- Table View
- List View
From the Book Jacket: "Chicken Soup for the Soul of America: Stories to Heal the Heart of Our Nation is an inspiring collection of stories that symbolize the power of diversity in America and our collective will to heal." Ron Nielsen airline captain, speaker and trainer "Chicken Soup for the Soul of America is a collection of vivid snapshots. They remind us what it means to be a hero; of the strength of America's democracy, and that our spirit cannot be destroyed nor our resolve defeated. This compelling book speaks to the kindness of strangers, the courage of ordinary people and what it truly means to be a member of the human family." Lois Capps U.S. Rep. (D-CA) "Chicken Soup for the Soul of America allowed me to reflect on the heroic and extraordinary commitment of people whose lives exemplified love for their fellow man. The truths in this book will inspire and comfort you, and also shed light on the lives of people we lost, whose ultimate sacrifice will live in our hearts forever." Cam Sanchez chief of police, Santa Barbara, California "The events of September 11 left a deep wound in the heart of our country. Chicken Soup for the Soul of America is a wonderful balm of love and hope that will help ease the pain and help our hearts to heal." Barbara De Angelis, Ph.D. television personality and author, Real Moments
.NET Windows Forms are a powerful technology for building a large class of applications for the Windows .NET platform. They offer nearly the same power and flexibility of classic Win32 development, but for a fraction of the effort. The programming model is lean and streamlined, and many of the tedious details that developers used to have to spend time on are now dealt with automatically by the platform. .NET Windows Forms in a Nutshell offers an accelerated introduction to this next-generation of rich user interface development. The book provides an all-inclusive guide for experienced programmers using the .NET Windows Forms platform to develop Windows applications, along with a compact but remarkably complete reference to the .NET Framework Class Library (FCL) Windows Forms namespaces and types. The authors present solid coverage of the fundamental building blocks, such as Controls, Forms, Menus, and GDI+, and enough detail to help you build your own fully featured reusable visual components so you can write visual component libraries as well as standalone applications. .NET Windows Forms in a Nutshell aims to provide not just the practical information and advice required to get programs working, but also to communicate the rationale behind the various parts of Windows Forms' design. The authors show how the thinking behind the framework enhances your productivity substantially. The new framework allows you to guess correctly what "the Right Way" to do things is a majority of the time, even if you've never tried what you're doing before. No more digging around in documentation for days to try to find the bit of information you need to use one particular feature. Anyone who is involved in user interface development will appreciate the ease of creation and expanded capabilities provided by .NET Windows Forms, as well as the in-depth focus and straight-forward approach this book brings. Included on CD is an add-in that will integrate the book's reference directly into the help files of Visual Studio .NET.
With its support for dynamic programming, C# 4.0 continues to evolve as a versatile language on its own. But when C# is used with .NET Framework 4, the combination is incredibly powerful. This bestselling tutorial shows you how to build web, desktop, and rich Internet applications using C# 4.0 with .NET's database capabilities, UI framework (WPF), extensive communication services (WCF), and more. In this sixth edition, .NET experts Ian Griffiths, Matthew Adams, and Jesse Liberty cover the latest enhancements to C#, as well as the fundamentals of both the language and framework. You'll learn concurrent programming with C# 4.0, and how to use .NET tools such as the Entity Framework for easier data access, and the Silverlight platform for browser-based RIA development. Learn C# fundamentals, such as variables, flow control, loops, and methods Build complex programs with object-oriented and functional programming techniques Process large collections of data with the native query features in LINQ Communicate across networks with Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) Learn the advantages of C# 4.0's dynamic language features Build interactive Windows applications with Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) Create rich web applications with Silverlight and ASP.NET
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.