- Table View
- List View
Steel and glass now dominate modern British cities, but the country can still boast millions of older houses constructed of more traditional building materials. Many date from the period before easy nationwide transportation, when these materials were usually grown on or extracted from land in the locality. As a result, Britain has a varied legacy of vernacular buildings that echoes its multitude of different landscapes. They display a rich and colourful palette of materials from the honey-coloured stone of the Cotswolds, to the red earth of Devon and grey granite of Aberdeen. In this book, buildings historian Matthew Slocombe explores the way in which locally produced constructional resources have shaped Britain's architectural heritage, whether workers' cottages or country houses. He looks at the range of materials used for walls and roof coverings, and explores the processes needed for their extraction, production and manufacture. He also considers the wealth of craft skills required for their use, including masonry, carpentry, roofing, leadwork and much more.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.