- Table View
- List View
More than 20 million women can't sleep at night or have trouble staying awake and alert during the day. Unfortunately, most of these women don't realize they have a sleep disorder. Although sleep disorders affect both men and women, sleep disorders among women are more prone to misdiagnosis and mistreatment.Women experience different symptoms of sleep disorders than men and the onset of a sleep disorder occurs for different reasons than do men's. Hormones, hormone replacement, different ages and stages of a women's life including pregnancy, new motherhood, perimenopause, menopause, menstrual cycles and the sleep disorders of children and sleep partners make a book like A Woman's Guide to Sleep Disorders necessary for women and their doctors.* Women take twice as many drugs as men, many of which cause sleep disorders* Women are more likely to experience RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and other sleep movement disorders than men* Because of menstrual cycles, more women are iron deficient, which causes sleep disorders * Women are diagnosed and treated for depression more often than men are and some of the anti-depressants prescribed to these women cause sleep disorders as does the inability to sleep because of depression* Research has shown that insomnia is more common in women than in men (64% vs. 50%)Dr. Kryger's book goes beyond the issue of sleep deprivation in women that is covered in other sleep books. It is designed to be a health book about what women (and their doctors) should know about recognizing whether their sleep problem is an actual disorder, what causes it, and how to medically treat the disorder.A special section on the role that hormones and hormone replacement therapy play in sleep disorders is included.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.