More than 20 million women can't sleep at night or have trouble staying awake and alert during the day. Unfortunately, most of these women don't realize they have a sleep disorder. Although sleep disorders affect both men and women, sleep disorders among women are more prone to misdiagnosis and mistreatment.Women experience different symptoms of sleep disorders than men and the onset of a sleep disorder occurs for different reasons than do men's. Hormones, hormone replacement, different ages and stages of a women's life including pregnancy, new motherhood, perimenopause, menopause, menstrual cycles and the sleep disorders of children and sleep partners make a book like A Woman's Guide to Sleep Disorders necessary for women and their doctors.* Women take twice as many drugs as men, many of which cause sleep disorders* Women are more likely to experience RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and other sleep movement disorders than men* Because of menstrual cycles, more women are iron deficient, which causes sleep disorders * Women are diagnosed and treated for depression more often than men are and some of the anti-depressants prescribed to these women cause sleep disorders as does the inability to sleep because of depression* Research has shown that insomnia is more common in women than in men (64% vs. 50%)Dr. Kryger's book goes beyond the issue of sleep deprivation in women that is covered in other sleep books. It is designed to be a health book about what women (and their doctors) should know about recognizing whether their sleep problem is an actual disorder, what causes it, and how to medically treat the disorder.A special section on the role that hormones and hormone replacement therapy play in sleep disorders is included.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.