- Table View
- List View
Presents a balanced Scientist - Practitioner - Educator approach to understanding Abnormal Psychology. Several features distinguish this text from other textbooks currently available. First, the base of abnormal psychology rests on knowledge generated through scientific studies and clinical practice This text emphasizes this rich blend throughout. Second, it is increasingly clear that most forms of adult abnormal behavior either begin in childhood or have childhood precursors This text highlights what is known about the developmental trajectory of each condition. Such a focus is instrumental in helping students gain some insight into the etiology of maladaptive conditions. Third, Beidel integrates biological findings with findings from social and behavioral sciences to foster the perspective that abnormal behavior is complex and subject to many different forces, and highlight how these variables often interact in a reciprocal fashion. Fourth, scientific findings with respect to race and gender are discussed with respect to each condition. This includes a discussion of prevalence, differences in symptom manifestation, and any known etiological differences. Importantly, an effort is made to "bring to life" the nature of these conditions by providing vivid clinical descriptions In addition to short descriptions used liberally throughout each chapter, a fully integrated case study is presented at the end of each chapter, again illustrating the interplay of biological, psychosocial and emotional factors. My Psych Lab contains study tools such as flashcards, self tests, videos, as well as Speaking Out: DSM in Context which ties real patient interview videos to specific content from the DSM-IV, helping students understand how the DSM-IV criteria applies to real people experiencing disorders My Psych Lab is available at www.mypsychlab.com. Visit the Beidel preview website to view a sample chapter, sample Speaking Out: DSM in Context videos,watch an interview with the author, read reviewer quotes, and much more! http://www.pearsonhighered.com/showcase/beidel1e/
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.