- Table View
- List View
When Marek Halter was five years old, he and his family fled from the Warsaw Ghetto with the help of two Polish Catholics. Fifty-three years later, now a distinguished French writer and social commentator, Halter returned to Warsaw, and from there went on a quest across Europe, seeking out and interviewing gentiles who had risked their own lives to save the lives of Jews in Nazi-occupied Europe." "From his research with Holocaust survivors, Halter developed a list of "the Just" - those who, according to Jewish tradition, must exist in each generation in order to save the world from destruction. Halter's encounters with these heroes and with those they saved are described in a series of little stories, interspersed with his own memories and observations. These "just" men and women range from obscure peasants to such notables as former West German chancellor Willy Brandt, the post-Communist leader of Lithuania, and the present Pope. The material of this book also forms the subject of a film directed by Halter, Tzedek: The Righteous.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.