- Table View
- List View
Ireland, more than any other country in Europe, has retained its mythological heritage, which lives today in the oral tradition of folk tales, in literature, in place-names and language, in ceremonies and monuments. Mountains and loughs are the homes of gods and goddesses, of saints and monsters, and pattern, beauty and cyclical logic are revealed in their stories. Michael Dames, whose previous works have won him a wide and enthusiastic following, has walked through each of the four provinces of Ireland--Ulster, Munster, Leinster and Connacht--visiting first a focal mythic site, such as St. Patrick's Purgatory on Lough Derg, then further sites that "spiral off". He also surveys the entire island from a fifth province, "Mide" or "center", which becomes its axis. Ireland's sacred locations unexpectedly take on contemporary relevance as we realize that the underlying concerns of myth--conservation and recurrence--are increasingly present concerns too. The rich, multi-layered and visionary text is complemented by a careful selection of photographs, engravings, maps and diagrams that reveal the sacred places of pagan and Christian legend.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.