- Table View
- List View
A gripping adrenaline rush of a story about growing up on the street, Michael David Baptiste's first novel unfolds like an epic saga of crime and punishment. Presided over by a main character named Michael Banner, known on the streets as Spits, Cracked Dreams takes readers onto the down and dirty streets of the Bronx and into the lives of a drug gang called the Time Bombs. The Time Bombs fear that their territory is being threatened by a rival gang trying to muscle into their trade, so they devise a plan to eliminate the competition. Soon they're consumed by the desire to make their mark beyond the borders of their hometown. Their cash-fueled dreams carry them far from their poberty-plagued roots, where their lives escalate into horrifying violence. Cracked Dreams introduces an unorgettable cast of snitches, gangstas, dealers, thugs, pimps, prostitutes, hustlers, and ex-cons who learn the hard way that when the street calls, you'd better answer. Shadowing their every move are the FBI agents sworn to put an end to the gang's reign of terror thats transforming average street corners into bloody battlegrounds. Careening from the drug-fueled avenues of the Bronx to Florida and California, Cracked Dreams tells a haunting tale of sin and redemption. Filled with graphic imagery and tragic overtones, this is an electrifying debut by a supremely gifted up-an-comer.
With a frightening sense of realism and authenticity -- the story of a cold-blooded killer and his life-changing relationship with his godchild. Boom, a product of violent street influences has become one of the most feared men in North Philadelphia. He is known for his brutality and the victims he leaves behind. When Booms closest friend, Ivan is gunned down and murdered, Boom takes the law into his own hands. Even after he finds the revenge he seeks, Boom still can't conceal his devastation. He's concerned about Shonda, Ivan's widow, and Sabra, Ivan's daughter and Boom's godchild. Caught up in the game of the streets and not accustomed to having feelings other than rage, Boom's once impenetrable tough exterior is slowly cracking and revealing his utter vulnerability With chilling prose, Michael Baptiste creates a riveting novel that reveals the brutal world of inner city street life. Godchild dissects the cyclical world of violence and revenge and one man's attempts to protect a child and make sure she will never suffer the same fate -- even if it kills him.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.