As the son of a California Highway Patrolman who was a contemporary of the slain officers in the famed 1970 Newhall shooting, Michael E. Wood grew up hearing about the event and its influence on the CHP and law enforcement community. That experience led to his authoring Newhall Shooting: A Tactical Analysis, arguably the most thoroughly researched and documented account of the shooting to date. He is a lifelong shooter and student of armed self-defense and a graduate of civilian self-defense training schools, including the Lethal Force Institute and The HALO Group. Wood is a military officer and pilot with 22 years of experience in operational environments, including combat operations, and is accustomed to analyzing events and deriving "lessons learned" for application in training and programs.
Foreword by Massad Ayoob. This book is the preeminent study of the 1970 Newhall shooting, in which four California Highway Patrolmen were slain. A watershed event, the massacre spurred radical changes in law enforcement training and procedures throughout the nation. This book offers the most critical, in depth analysis of the shooting to date, and explores the "lessons learned" from this event. It challenges the notion that these lessons have been fully incorporated into American law enforcement training, and examines ways in which modern law enforcement and self-defense training can be improved so that the sacrifices of these valiant officers were not in vain.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.