- Table View
- List View
The Prose Reader contains twenty new essays, including an interesting and provocative photo essay. The eighth edition has updated some of the essays, added new authors, and introduced many new topics, such as committing to a place, language acquisition, learning to read, the theory of evolution, girl-fighting, bingeing on college campuses, violence in the United States, gay marriage, graffiti, DNA testing, the Patriot Act, insomnia, and the American Civil War.
Effective writing through critical thinking. Above all others, this rhetorical patterns reader provides a comprehensive grounding in critical thinking as the foundation for close reading and effective writing. Just as important, by exposing the reader to interesting and insightful prose by a diversity of top writers, the reader is motivated to respond in writing and discussions. By thinking, reading, and writing on three increasingly difficult levels - literally, interpretively, and critically - readers can better learn the processes and skills necessary to be successful in all their writing experiences.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.