Family Pride: What LGBT Families Should Know about Navigating Home, School, and Safety in Their Neighborhoodsby Michael Shelton Elizabeth Castellana
An invaluable portrait and roadmap on how to thrive as an LGBT family The overwhelming success of Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" YouTube project aimed at queer youth highlighted that despite the progress made in gay rights, LGBT people are still at high risk of being victimized. While the national focus remains on the mistreatment of gay people in schools, the reality is that LGBT families also face hostility in various settings--professional, recreational, and social. This is especially evident in rural communities, where the majority of LGBT families live, isolated from support networks more commonly found in urban spaces. Family Pride is the first book for queer parents, families, and allies that emphasizes community safety. Drawing on his years as a dedicated community activist and on the experiences of LGBT parents, Michael Shelton offers concrete strategies that LGBT families can use to intervene in and resolve difficult community issues, teach their children resiliency skills, and find safe and respectful programs for their children.
Winner of the 2012 Independent Book Publishers Association Benjamin Franklin Award -- GLBT Category!<P> Gay Men and Substance Abuse fills a tremendous void, serving as a valuable resource for gay men, professionals, concerned partners, friends, and family members in need of solid information and guidance.<P> Whether faced with a traumatic coming out process, caught up in personal struggles with body image, engulfed in the club culture, or navigating a family system that does not accept his sexuality, a gay man struggling with substance abuse or addiction often faces cultural and personal challenges unique to his life experiences. Yet many men and their loved ones in search of help are forced to adjust to a traditional treatment system, or self-help groups that center on heterosexual relationships, and family groups that neglect to include partners or address what can be a uniquely challenging family dynamic.<P> By exploring the social and psychological factors that play into homosexual men's addictions, nationally certified treatment counselor Michael Shelton presents a timely, comprehensive look at best practices in meeting the unique needs of gay men in recovery, offering keen insight on a range of issues, including: such common therapeutic approaches as motivational enhancement therapy and 12 Step strategies successful relapse prevention protocols tools for recovery from co-occurring sexual disorders the importance of a loved one's role with regard to intervention and support the complicated relationship between gay male drug use and sexual behavior how to talk knowledgeably, and with care and sensitivity.<P> About the author Michael Shelton, M.S., C.A.C., is a nationally certified treatment counselor and does clinical work with males with substance abuse and sexual disorders at four facilities in Philadelphia. He's the author of four other books, including Boy Crazy: Why Monogamy Is So Hard for Gay Men and What You Can Do About It.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.