- Table View
- List View
Plug it in and Cook with French Flair"I'd bet that if French cooks could get their hands on Michele Scicolone's French Slow Cooker, which is filled with smart, practical, and convenient recipes, they'd never let it go." -- Dorie Greenspan, author of Around My French TableWith a slow cooker, even novices can turn out dishes that taste as though they came straight out of the kitchen of a French grandmère. Provençal vegetable soup. Red-wine braised beef with mushrooms. Chicken with forty cloves of garlic. Even bouillabaisse. With The French Slow Cooker, all of these are as simple as setting the timer and walking away. Michele Scicolone goes far beyond the usual slow-cooker standbys of soups and stews, with Slow-Cooked Salmon with Lemon and Green Olives, Crispy Duck Confit, and Spinach Soufflé. And for dessert, how about Ginger Crème Brûlée? With The French Slow Cooker, the results are always magnifique.
Italian food has always been immensely popular. Whether for company or family, no meal hits the spot like a long-simmered stew like Osso Bucco with Red Wine, or Chicken with Peppers and Mushrooms, perhaps with a side of Creamy Polenta. The trouble, of course, is finding the time for these soulfully flavored dishes, especially during the week. But with The Italian Slow Cooker, every cook who can spare 10 minutes of prep time can leave the house for work (or retire for the night) and return to a meal that tastes as though it had been coddled all day by an Italian grandmother. Michele Scicolone, a respected authority on Italian cooking, shows how fresh ingredients and a few simple steps can lift dishes well beyond the usual "crockpot cooking," while keeping all the plug-it-in-and-walk-away convenince. In addition to providing scores of Italian classics that beg for a slow cooker (Turkey Meatball and Escarole Soup; Meat and Mushroom Ragu), Scicolone shows how a slow cooker can make "stir-crazy" dishes like polenta and risotto without any stirring at all.
With the combination of tradition, innovation, and ease that have made her recipes so popular, Michele Scicolone gathers intriguing dishes from every corner of the Mediterranean and streamlines them for the slow cooker. The range is eye-opening: from simplified and freshened classics like Greek shrimp with tomatoes and feta, to Israeli sweet-and-sour meatballs, to Moroccan vegetable tagine, to coffee-caramel flan from Spain. But Scicolone also serves up a profusion of fascinating lesser-known dishes, such as a creamy polenta lasagna, a port-braised chicken from Portugal, a spiced frittata from Tunisia, and BanditâTMs Lamb, as well as her own seductive creations, like Cannoli Cheesecake.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.