- Table View
- List View
A chance encounter on a chilly, rainy day started a heartwarming adventure for a blind dog and a human. This is Rivers diary of that adventure; becoming pain free and dealing with his disappointments while learning to interact with humans. Rivers tells of a blind dog's efforts to overcome his challenges and achieve his destiny. Rivers is a tale of the bond between a dog and a man, of courage, friendship, loyalty and adventure. It is full of positive messages for both young and old. Rivers takes place in that mystical land called Alaska, where sled dog racing is the state sport, dogs are considered athletes, and mushers are their coaches.
This true story is told through a retired sled dog's point of view. Rivers is an Alaska sled dog who became blind. He was adopted by a musher who took in retired dogs. This is the story of a dog team's adventures. The story draws the reader in, and parts are quite emotional. By the end, the reader fells like he or she knows each dog as a friend. There are photos at the start of the book of the real Huskies who are in the book. Note: there are multiple errors in the original text (including in the Table of Contents)that were left due to copyright laws.
Timeless words of wisdom ran through each of the first two Rivers books, and Rivers Book 3, Unknown Trails does not disappoint in continuing that tradition. Themes of confronting challenges, not giving up, overcoming those challenges, and doing your best, are integral to the telling of Rivers' stories.
Through the Eyes of a Blind Sled Dog
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.