- Table View
- List View
An insightful account of the recent histories of nearly two dozen states, Global Shift is a dynamic, nuanced study of what is sometimes referred to as the "Third World." Seeking to illuminate the deep economic chasm between the global East and West, Mike Mason presents a new perspective of decolonization, neocolonialism, and global capitalism in the context of the rise and decline of a hegemonic America. Global Shift begins with the end of the Second World War, telling the story of a ravaged, but still dominant West, as well as the emergence of the Third World - a zone of competition and contention ultimately engulfed by the rising tide of capitalist development. Mason suggests that historic focus on the West as the centre of the global economy may soon be superseded by the rise of the East Drawing on history, comparative politics, and development studies, Global Shift traces the contours of state histories from Asia, Africa, and Latin America to create a comprehensive portrait of the current state of global politics that is breathtaking in scope.
Meditate on the Spiritual Significance of Marriage In the 20th Anniversary Edition of this Gold Medallion Award winner, Mike Mason goes on a poetic search to understand the wondrous dynamics of committed love. In highly readable, first-person style, Mason's writing stimulates readers' thoughts and prayers and propels couples to deeper intimacy. "A marriage is not a joining of two worlds," says the author, "but an abandoning of two worlds in order that one new one might be formed." Rich chapters on "Otherness," "Vows," "Intimacy," "Sex," "Submission," and an all-new chapter on "Oneness" lift readers to view the eternal, spiritual nature of this faith-filled, "impossible," wild--yet wonderful--frontier. "The two shall become one flesh. This is a great mystery." Ephesians 5:31-32 Beautifully written and filled with life-transforming insights, the 20th anniversary edition of Mike Mason's unparalleled Gold Medallion winner explores the mystical and holy nature of marriage with a depth that will forever alter how a couple relates to each other--and to God. PULL OUT The Mystery of Marriage stands out from how-to manuals on marriage as a refreshing how-come book--a brilliant celebration of the God-ordained union between man and wife. "An outstanding achievement. Rarely has a book aroused in me so much enthusiasm as has the combination of wisdom, depth, dignity, and glow that I find in these chapters." J.I. Packer "Absolutely exquisite. It reaches down deep into our innermost being, revealing, revitalizing, rewarding. A real classic." Gigi Graham Tchividjian "A drop everything book. Mason deals with the stunning paradoxes of the mystery, the problems, and the glories of marriage. I don't need to read any other book on the subject." Elisabeth Elliot Story Behind the Book"Over the twenty years since its publication, many couples have told me that they've read my book aloud to each other. This always amazes me and gives me great joy. I'm also amazed that many single people have read it. Either way, my goal is for hearts to be warmed by the mystery of divine love. I want couples to enter into deeper intimacy by thinking together about the mystery of marriage--about how their love, besides being a gift of God, reflects the very love He has for Himself in the Trinity. For God is not a bachelor, and throughout the Bible marriage is a supreme picture of the nature of God's love and of His kingdom. I want people who read my book to feel so soaked in these wonderful, divine mysteries that it deepens their reverence for marriage and inspires them to greater love."From the Trade Paperback edition.
In the deepest part of our hearts and souls is the desire to love well. Yet in our struggle to do so, we learn that, as Mike Mason puts it, "We are not born with love; it is something we must learn." Now, in Practicing the Presence of People, he helps us launch that learning process. Mason points the way to fresh knowledge and fresh experience, showing how we can discover new things about those we love, understand them from the inside out, tenderly identify with their weaknesses, and celebrate that they too were lovingly made by the hand of God.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.