- Table View
- List View
In a city called New York ... In a neighborhood called El Bronx ... * The Fernandez children own a very special pet: A white hen named after their favorite Hollywood movie star. * A new girl comes to school - a gypsy child who can read palms and foretell the future. * A young boy must face the humiliation of wearing his uncle's orange roach-killer shoes to his high school graduation. In the South Bronx - or El Bronx, as it's known to the people who live there - anything can happen. A migrant "fresh off the boat" from Puerto Rico can be somebody on the mainland, pursue the American Dream ... and maybe even make it come true. Here are stories that capture the flavor and beat of El Bronx in its heyday, from 1946-1956. A New York Times Outstanding Book of the Year. Finalist, 1976 National Book Award for Children's Literature. A Notable Children's Trade Book in Social Studies (NCSS/CBC).
The everyday experiences of an eight-year-old Puerto Rican girl growing up in a close-knit, urban community.
Feeling like an outsider when she visits her relatives in Puerto Rico for the first time, eleven-year-old Felita finds herself having to come to terms with the heritage she always took for granted.
In this sequel to Felita, Felita's going to Puerto Rico! It's like a dream to her, although she'll miss her friends. But Felita's summer isn't at all what she expected. Her uncle's small village is boring, and none of the girls wants to be friends with an outsider. Felita desperately wants to go home. But she gradually finds a way to fit in, and by summer's end, Felita knows she will miss her new friends and her homeland. .
Winner of the School Library Journal's Best Book for Young Adults (1977) and the Notable Trade Book Award (1977).
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.