Four tales in which people encounter fairies and brownies for the first time.
Robert the Bruce, King of Scots, led Scotland's rebel army in a thirty-year war against England. Award-winning author Mollie Hunter tells the story of this legendary king, and of the young man who would become his swift rider and master of espionage. As Scotland's guerrilla campaign gathers bloody momentum, Martin Crawford finds himself deeply entrenched in a war to regain his country's freedom. Picking up the story of Scotland's light for independence ten years after the death of William Wallace (played by Mel Gibson in the Oscar-winning motion picture "Braveheart"), the King's Swift Rider is an homage to one of history's greatest kings, Robert the Bruce.
With the help of her brother Jon, nine-year-old Anna daringly seeks to discover the secret means to undo a mermaid's curse upon their grandfather.
The most boisterous and sensitive of her family, Bridie McShane was her father's favorite. Then he dies, and nine-year-old Bridie, at first paralyzed by sadness, slowly begins to overcome her grief as she accepts the fact that time changes everything.
After a shipwreck, the only survivor Finn Learson comes to Robbie who gives him shelter. Remembering his grandfather's warning Robbie realizes only he can save his sister from Finn before it is too late.
After receiving the gift of Second Sight from his old friend, the Bodach, ten-year-old Donald becomes responsible for safeguarding the ancient power of the walking stones before their glen is flooded by a hydroelectric company.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.