- Table View
- List View
Selections from the "Until the Violence Stops" Festival Featuring writings by Abiola Abrams * Edward Albee * Tariq Ali * Maya Angelou * Periel Aschenbrand * Patricia Bosworth * Nicole Burdette * Kate Clinton * Kimberle Crenshaw * Michael Cunningham * Edwidge Danticat * Ariel Dorfman * Mollie Doyle * Slavenka Drakulic * Michael Eric Dyson * Dave Eggers * Kathy Engel * Eve Ensler * Jane Fonda * Carol Gilligan * Jyllian Gunther * Suheir Hammad * Christine House * Marie Howe * Carol Michèle Kaplan * Moisés Kaufman * Michael Klein * Nicholas Kristof * James Lecesne * Elizabeth Lesser * Mark Matousek * Deena Metzger * Susan Miller * Winter Miller * Susan Minot * Robin Morgan * Kathy Najimy * Lynn Nottage * Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy * Sharon Olds * Hanan al-Shaykh * Anna Deavere Smith * Diana Son * Monica Szlekovics * Robert Thurman * Betty Gale Tyson * Alice Walker * Jody Williams * Erin Cressida Wilson * Howard Zinn This groundbreaking collection, edited by author and playwright Eve Ensler, features pieces from "Until the Violence Stops," the international tour that brings the issue of violence against women and girls to the forefront of our consciousness. These diverse voices rise up in a collective roar to break open, expose, and examine the insidiousness of brutality, neglect, a punch, or a put-down. Here is Edward Albee on S&M; Maya Angelou on women's work; Michael Cunningham on self-mutilation; Dave Eggers on a Sudanese abduction; Carol Gilligan on a daughter witnessing her mother being hit; Susan Miller on raising a son as a single mother; and Sharon Olds on a bra. These writings are inspired, funny, angry, heartfelt, tragic, and beautiful. But above all, together they create a true and profound portrait of this issue's effect on every one of us. With information on how to organize an "Until the Violence Stops" event in your community,A Memory, a Monologue, a Rant, and a Prayeris a call to the world to demand an end to violence against women. "In the current era, it takes some brain racking to think of anyone else doing anything quite like Ensler. She's a countercultural consciousness-raiser, an empowering figure, a truth-teller. " -Chicago Tribune
From the doctor whose "extraordinary practice is at the vanguard of a revolutionary way to deliver medical care" (O, The Oprah Magazine), an easy program to restore energy and health. DO YOU FEEL UNUSUALLY EXHAUSTED? DO YOU HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING? DOES YOUR DIGESTION BOTHER YOU? DO YOU HAVE ACHING MUSCLES AND JOINTS? DO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE AGING TOO QUICKLY? DO YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE RUNNING ON EMPTY? Fatigue, unexplained back and joint pain, distractibility, irritability, insomnia, and digestive problems leave many of us feeling spent -- and there is no pill that reverses the effects. Many Americans are plagued by this new epidemic, and doctors are unable to diagnose any single cause. But Dr. Frank Lipman knows that this profound feeling of general unwellness is not part of the normal aging process. In this revolutionary book, Dr. Lipman is the first to connect the dots in a constellation of symptoms, offering a proven solution to combat the pervasive syndrome he calls Spent. When someone is Spent, the body is doing everything it can to indicate that it is time to slow down, rest, detoxify, repair, replenish, and restore. Dr. Lipman has helped thousands of patients who suffer from Spent to revive their bodies -- and, in most cases, feel more energized and healthier than they ever have before. In Spent, Dr. Lipman first identifies the things in modern life that lead to energy depletion, such as stress, light deprivation, an erratic sleep schedule, and a diet high in sugar and processed foods. Next, he creates "Daily Beats," a series of simple actions -- such as sleep, diet, exercise, nutrition, meditation, and relaxation -- that readers can take to repair their stressed systems and nourish their bodies and minds. As with Dr. Lipman's patients, anyone following his day-by-day program will feel energized, vibrant, and younger. With a nutrition plan of tasty recipes photographs of research-based exercises and stretches, and wisdom from Dr. Lipman's thirty years of medical practice, Spent puts readers back in touch with their bodies' natural rhythms and introduces them to a lifetime of good health.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.