- Table View
- List View
This summer, Free Press will publish five powerful, original, and irresistible novels. The eBook edition of the Free Press Summer Fiction Sampler includes excerpts from Shelter, The Folded Earth, Gone to the Forest, The Other Half of Me, and Some Kind of Peace. With behind-the-scenes content interspersed throughout, the sampler will transport readers to gorgeous landscapes around the world, from the foothills of the Himalaya to the Welsh countryside to the icy shores of Sweden, and into the riveting, tumultuous lives of five communities of unforgettable characters. In Shelter, two young sisters struggle with the devastating loss of their parents, as they're forced to build a new life on their own in a strange town. Anuradha Roy's internationally acclaimed The Folded Earth introduces us to the beautiful and brave Maya, a young widow who finds unexpected kinship in a remote Indian village. Gone to the Forest explores post-colonial struggles through the powerful, haunting story of a father and son torn apart. The glitteringly wealthy Anthony family in The Other Half of Me offers a tantalizing glimpse into the glamour and heartbreak of high society in the Welsh countryside. And Some Kind of Peace, a chilling Scandinavian thriller written by a bestselling team of Swedish sisters, follows the grisly, crime-solving exploits of a female psychologist.
"What good can the past do the living? What harm?" Growing up in their family's ancestral home in Wales, Jonathan Anthony and his little sister, Theo, are inseparable. Together they explore the wild acres of Evendon, inventing magical worlds and buttressing each other against the loneliness of life with their alcoholic mother, Alicia, and a shifting cast of gossiping cooks and maids. When a family tragedy brings their glamorous grandmother, Eve, home from America, Jonathan and Theo are initially elated by the attention she lavishes on them. But soon it becomes clear that there is more to the Anthony family history than either Eve or Alicia will acknowledge, trapping Jonathan and Theo in a web of dark secrets that have haunted Evendon for generations. Written in luminous prose, with richly endearing characters and a profound appreciation for the rustic beauty of the Welsh countryside, The Other Half of Me is a darkly wise coming-of-age novel and a masterful portrait of a family and the burdens of the past.inherit Eve's lucrative American hotel business, his once immutable bond with the brilliant, vibrant Theo begins to break down as she descends into a drug-fueled, obsessive search for the truth about their father. When tragedy strikes the Anthonys once again, Jonathan is forced to confront his own mistakes, and the secrets that have haunted Evendon for generations. Written in luminous prose, with richly endearing characters and a profound appreciation for the rustic beauty of the Welsh countryside, The Other Half of Me is a magnificent debut, and a masterful portrait of a family and the burdens of the past.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.