This summer, Free Press will publish five powerful, original, and irresistible novels. The eBook edition of the Free Press Summer Fiction Sampler includes excerpts from Shelter, The Folded Earth, Gone to the Forest, The Other Half of Me, and Some Kind of Peace. With behind-the-scenes content interspersed throughout, the sampler will transport readers to gorgeous landscapes around the world, from the foothills of the Himalaya to the Welsh countryside to the icy shores of Sweden, and into the riveting, tumultuous lives of five communities of unforgettable characters. In Shelter, two young sisters struggle with the devastating loss of their parents, as they're forced to build a new life on their own in a strange town. Anuradha Roy's internationally acclaimed The Folded Earth introduces us to the beautiful and brave Maya, a young widow who finds unexpected kinship in a remote Indian village. Gone to the Forest explores post-colonial struggles through the powerful, haunting story of a father and son torn apart. The glitteringly wealthy Anthony family in The Other Half of Me offers a tantalizing glimpse into the glamour and heartbreak of high society in the Welsh countryside. And Some Kind of Peace, a chilling Scandinavian thriller written by a bestselling team of Swedish sisters, follows the grisly, crime-solving exploits of a female psychologist.
"What good can the past do the living? What harm?" Growing up in their family's ancestral home in Wales, Jonathan Anthony and his little sister, Theo, are inseparable. Together they explore the wild acres of Evendon, inventing magical worlds and buttressing each other against the loneliness of life with their alcoholic mother, Alicia, and a shifting cast of gossiping cooks and maids. When a family tragedy brings their glamorous grandmother, Eve, home from America, Jonathan and Theo are initially elated by the attention she lavishes on them. But soon it becomes clear that there is more to the Anthony family history than either Eve or Alicia will acknowledge, trapping Jonathan and Theo in a web of dark secrets that have haunted Evendon for generations. Written in luminous prose, with richly endearing characters and a profound appreciation for the rustic beauty of the Welsh countryside, The Other Half of Me is a darkly wise coming-of-age novel and a masterful portrait of a family and the burdens of the past.inherit Eve's lucrative American hotel business, his once immutable bond with the brilliant, vibrant Theo begins to break down as she descends into a drug-fueled, obsessive search for the truth about their father. When tragedy strikes the Anthonys once again, Jonathan is forced to confront his own mistakes, and the secrets that have haunted Evendon for generations. Written in luminous prose, with richly endearing characters and a profound appreciation for the rustic beauty of the Welsh countryside, The Other Half of Me is a magnificent debut, and a masterful portrait of a family and the burdens of the past.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.