This is the story of a funny little woman who lives all by herself in her own little hut. She's a dumpling maker by trade, and one day a naughty dumpling escapes down a crack in her floor. As she reaches for it, the floor gives way and the woman finds herself on an ancient road surrounded by statues of gods. The statues warn the woman not to attract the attention of the local Oni (an evil demon) but the woman's giggles can't keep her hidden for long. Soon she's cooking for all the Oni in their homes with the help of a magic paddle. By the end, however, the woman wishes to return to her house and it is only when she is able to make the Oni laugh at her (rather than vice versa) that she is enabled to escape and prosper. Like all good folktales, this one contains elements that are familiar throughout the world. This book was the recipient of the 1973 Caldecott Medal.
Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo! Three decades and more than one million copies later children still love hearing about the boy with the long name who fell down the well. Arlene Mosel and Blair Lent's classic re-creation of an ancient Chinese folktale has hooked legions of children, teachers, and parents, who return, generation after generation, to learn about the danger of having such an honorable name as Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo. Tikki Tikki Tembo is the winner of the 1968 Boston Globe - Horn Book Award for Picture Books.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.