How does Google sell ad space and rank webpages? How does Netflix recommend movies and Amazon rank products? How can you influence people on Facebook and Twitter and can you really reach anyone in six steps? Why doesn't the Internet collapse under congestion and does it have an Achilles' heel? Why are you charged per gigabyte for mobile data and how can Skype and BitTorrent be free? How are cloud services so scalable and why is WiFi slower at hotspots than at home? Driven by twenty real-world questions about our networked lives, this book explores the technology behind the multi-trillion dollar Internet and wireless industries. Providing easily understandable answers for the casually curious, alongside detailed explanations for those looking for in-depth discussion, this thought-provoking book is essential reading for students in engineering, science and economics, for network industry professionals and anyone curious about how technological and social networks really work.
A comprehensive text addressing the high demand for network, cloud, and content services through cutting-edge research on data pricing and business strategies Smart Data Pricing tackles the timely issue of surging demand for network, cloud, and content services and corresponding innovations in pricing these services to benefit consumers, operators, and content providers. The pricing of data traffic and other services is central to the core challenges of network monetization, growth sustainability, and bridging the digital divide. In this book, experts from both academia and industry discuss all aspects of smart data pricing research and development, including economic analyses, system development, user behavior evaluation, and business strategies. Smart Data Pricing: * Presents the analysis of leading researchers from industry and academia surrounding the pricing of network services and content. * Discusses current trends in mobile and wired data usage and their economic implications for content providers, network operators, end users, government regulators, and other players in the Internet ecosystem. * Includes new concepts and background technical knowledge that will help researchers and managers effectively monetize their networks and improve user quality-of-experience. * Provides cutting-edge research on business strategies and initiatives through a diverse collection of perspectives. * Combines academic and industry expertise from multiple disciplines and business organizations. The ideas and background of the technologies and economic principles discussed within these chapters are of real value to practitioners, researchers, and managers in identifying trends and deploying new pricing and network management technologies, and will help support managers in identifying new business directions and innovating solutions to challenging business problems.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.