- Table View
- List View
A collection of work from this author of classic science fiction with an introduction by J. J. Pierce.
It was a wild planet, but the space ships of Earth saw that it would someday be suitable for habitation, so they seeded it with lower forms of life--bacteria, fungi, simple plants, and insects--to re-create the food chain that human colonists would need. Next should have come the higher forms of animal life, but something went wrong. The Galactic record keepers lost their punch card, the planet was forgotten, and for centuries the forces of evolution worked their magic without further human intervention. Then one day a lifeboat, escaping from the stricken starship Icarus, brought a party of humans to the forgotten planet, where they encountered a nightmare world of huge mushrooms, giant spiders and beetles, monster worms and deadly fungi, a land of dense clouds and perpetual mists, without sunlight. It was an experiment out of control. Rescue was impossible and survival uncertain, so the descendants of the Icarus's people lost their technology, their culture and their language, and degenerated into savagery.
Celebrating the "dean of modern science fiction" ("TIME"), this anthology contains three complete novels by Leinster, one of them a Hugo Award finalist, along with short stories, including one written in 1946 that foretold the coming of home computers and the Internet.
The complete Med Ship saga--The Mutant Weapon, Doctor to the Stars, This World Is Taboo, and S.O.S. from Three Worlds--is collected in this one volume.
"Time is out of joint," wrote Shakespeare. And in these 6 strange and startling stories, time is indeed bent, turned inside-out and upside-down, accelerated, decelerated, and obliterated.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.