- Table View
- List View
A collection of work from this author of classic science fiction with an introduction by J. J. Pierce.
It was a wild planet, but the space ships of Earth saw that it would someday be suitable for habitation, so they seeded it with lower forms of life--bacteria, fungi, simple plants, and insects--to re-create the food chain that human colonists would need. Next should have come the higher forms of animal life, but something went wrong. The Galactic record keepers lost their punch card, the planet was forgotten, and for centuries the forces of evolution worked their magic without further human intervention. Then one day a lifeboat, escaping from the stricken starship Icarus, brought a party of humans to the forgotten planet, where they encountered a nightmare world of huge mushrooms, giant spiders and beetles, monster worms and deadly fungi, a land of dense clouds and perpetual mists, without sunlight. It was an experiment out of control. Rescue was impossible and survival uncertain, so the descendants of the Icarus's people lost their technology, their culture and their language, and degenerated into savagery.
Celebrating the "dean of modern science fiction" ("TIME"), this anthology contains three complete novels by Leinster, one of them a Hugo Award finalist, along with short stories, including one written in 1946 that foretold the coming of home computers and the Internet.
The complete Med Ship saga--The Mutant Weapon, Doctor to the Stars, This World Is Taboo, and S.O.S. from Three Worlds--is collected in this one volume.
"Time is out of joint," wrote Shakespeare. And in these 6 strange and startling stories, time is indeed bent, turned inside-out and upside-down, accelerated, decelerated, and obliterated.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.