- Table View
- List View
Urban Books' popular Girls From da Hood series is back, bringing readers more dramatic tales about the lives of some tough, resourceful women who can hold their own when things get rough on the streets. Gabby Davenport spent the first fifteen years of her life in the suburbs, living a privileged and sheltered existence. When her mother dies unexpectedly, she is forced to move from her middle class neighborhood into Cumberland Projects in Brooklyn. Gabby's life will never be the same. Mika, the queen bee of the projects, doesn't appreciate the arrival of this private-school good girl. Mika and her posse are on a mission to make Gabby's life miserable, and things only get worse when Mika's "friend with benefits" B-Waite decides he wants to make Gabby his girl. Mika is ready to go to war to win back her man, and she doesn't care who she has to take down in the process. Keisha, Shawna, and LaRhonda are best friends forever, as the saying goes. Nothing will tear apart this tight trio--or so they think. When Keisha steps out of her box to become more of her own person, tension builds among the girls. In the eyes of her trusted friends, her lifestyle has become questionable. What happens when her secrets and desires are revealed?Shawna's life is just starting to look up. She's been hired at a major record label, and she's making enough money to move out of the projects for good. When her good news is met by fake smiles, Shawna gets a new perspective on how her girls really feel. LaRhonda sees each of her friends moving up while she's still struggling in the confines of the ghetto. After she gives birth to her second child by the age of eighteen, she feels like her dreams are out of reach. Her growing jealousy isn't easy to hide. What will happen when her misery wants company?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.