- Table View
- List View
Speeding through the water at up to 25 miles per hour (40 kph), the California sea lion is one of the fastest animals in the sea. This clever and skillful swimmer has to move fast. After all, many of the animals that it eats, such as squid, are fast swimmers, too! Look inside to find out more about this speedy sea mammal, including where it lives, how it hunts, and the special ways its body helps it reach its record-breaking speeds. Picture descriptions added.
Some rodents such as mice are so small they can hide in the tiny cracks and holes inside houses--but not capybaras! Weighing about 110 pounds (50 kg) and growing up to 4 feet (1.2 m) in length, these giant rodents are bigger than many dogs! Look inside to find out what the world's biggest rodent eats, how it takes care of its young, and the ways it stays safe from animals that are even bigger than it is.
Thinking about getting a new pet? How about a ferret? These frisky creatures make the perfect pet--for the right kind of owner. Look inside to find out what these friendly, fun-loving animals eat as well as what kind of living space, training, and care they need. Along the way you'll also discover what all ferret owners know--that the world of pets is a lot bigger than just cats and dogs.
Thinking about getting a new pet? How about a green iguana? These sun-loving creatures make the perfect pet--for the right kind of owner. Look inside to find out what these big green lizards eat as well as what kind of living space, training, and care they need. Along the way you'll also discover what all green iguana owners know--that the world of pets is a lot bigger than just cats and dogs.
Thinking about getting a new pet? How about a miniature horse? These gentle creatures make the perfect pet for the right kind of owner. Look inside to find out what these pint-size horses eat as well as what kind of living space, training, and care they need. Along the way you'll also discover what all miniature horse owners know--that the world of pets is a lot bigger than just cats and dogs.
Why would anyone welcome a potbellied pig into their home? Aren't pigs dirty, smelly animals? No way! In fact, potbellied pigs are clean, intelligent, and fun-loving pets. They can even be trained to do some tricks and walk on a leash. These playful porkers are no ordinary pets! A potbellied pig might be an unusual choice for an animal companion, but love comes in all kinds of packages. How can kids find out whether a pig is the right pet for them? Potbellied Pigs explores the responsibilities and rewards of caring for this pet through real-life anecdotes and practical advice. Engaging narrative text and vivid, eye-popping photos of these unique creatures will keep young readers turning the pages to find out more.
TUT'S DEADLY TOMB. The mummy of King Tutankhamun, the young Egyptian pharaoh, had not been disturbed for more than 3,000 years. In 1922, archaeologist Howard Carter and his team discovered the ancient tomb and examined the dazzling treasures within its chambers. Soon after the thrilling discovery, however, a member of Carter's team became ill and died. Stories of other deaths connected to the tomb followed. Had an ancient curse doomed those who had entered the pharaoh's tomb? Look inside to discover the truth behind these dark and spooky events.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.