Stretching more than 150 miles and cutting through the city that bears its name, the Chicago River divides the Second City into the North Side and the South Side. In 1832, the first bridge across the river was constructed. In 1834, the first moveable bridge was erected. Today, Chicago is home to nearly 40 moveable bridges and some 60 bridges in all, making it the most bridge-rich city in the world. The River and its bridges have done much to shape the history of Chicago, which has grown from a rough-and-tumble trading outpost to a world-class city known for its architecture. Chicago's Bridges traces the evolution of the city's bridges, from the origins of the unique bascule bridges that punctuate the Chicago River to the splendidly designed bridges that lend Chicago its reputation as one of the great architectural destinations of the world.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.