- Table View
- List View
It's fairly obvious that one can't be a 'perfect' environmentalist. But that's okay. Perfection isn't the goal. A good life is. And a good life has as much to do with your intent as with the end result. " --from the Introduction The Newman's Own Organics Guide to a Good Life is the essential book for those of us who can't live in an organic hemp tepee but do care about our quality of life, global warming, clean water, and disappearing resources. Nell Newman shows you how to do what is within easy reach. Along with realistic, practical advice, she shows how and why living a more environmentally conscious life benefits you and your immediate surroundings. In addition to recycling and reusing, the book covers consumer-related steps such as * how buying and eating organic food supports small farms (and tastes better, too) * how you can buy clean power through your regular power company * which long-distance telephone companies offer competitive pricing and service while returning a portion of their profits to environmental and educational organizations * where to buy everything--from pots and pans to pet food--so that you can "vote with your dollar" and feel good about your purchases Packed with profiles of fascinating--and sometimes zany--people and a heavy dose of sanity, this book is organized according to the way you really live, making it easy to identify what areas of change are viable for you. A resource directory of publications, retailers, groups, and associations is included in the back of the book. From the Trade Paperback edition.
A comprehensive guide to the health risks, organic options, shopping choices, and ways we can fight the corporate agro-industrial takeover of the food we eat.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.