Seventeen all-new stories illuminate the steampunk world of fog and fear! Modern masters of the supernatural weave their magic to revitalize the chilling Victorian and Edwardian ghostly tale: here are haunted houses, arcane inventions, spirits reaching across the centuries, ghosts in the machine, fateful revelations, gaslit streets scarcely keeping the dark at bay, and other twisted variations on the immortal classics that frighten us still.
Infinity Plus collects together stories from some of the leading names in speculative fiction. In 1997 the Infinity Plus website was launched at www.infinityplus.co.uk to showcase some of the best in SF, fantasy and horror fiction. Infinity Plus features the work of some of the site's major contributors such as Michael Moorcock, Kim Stanley Robinson, Jeff Vandermeer and others. These stories have been chosen by the writers themselves - stories dear to their hearts and deserving renewed attention.
Beyond our skies...and imaginations. Are we alone in the universe, and if not, who else-or what else-is out there? Here are thought-provoking stories that explore such questions as: Do intelligent species invariably destroy themselves by nuclear war or ecological collapse? Are the sentient aliens that do exist just too far away? Do they exist in forms beyond our comprehension? Are they among us, but undetectable? These are just some of the possibilities explored by a stellar lineup of contributors.
Eleven original stories about the different paths our world might've taken... Alternate history explores the many possible directions our world could follow if certain key events didn't occur at all or were changed in some crucial way. Is our Earth the only Earth, our reality the only one that exists? Or are there many parallel worlds and societies, some very similar to ours, some barely recognizable? What if... Lincoln had never become president, and the Civil War had never taken place? Columbus never discovered America, and the Inca developed a massive, technologically advanced empire? Magic was real and a half-faery queen ruled England? Hitler and Germany won the war because America never got involved? Many of the world's religions were totally commercialized, their temples run like casinos, religions deisgned purely for profit? An author discovered a book written by an alternate version of himself? These are just some of the possible pathways that you can take to explore the Other Earths that may be waiting just one event away... This anthology includes stories by: Robert Charles Wilson -- Jeff Vandermeer -- Stephen Baxter Theodora Goss -- Lizz Williams -- Gene Wolfe Greg Van Eekhout -- Alastair Reynolds -- Paul Park Lucius Shepard -- Benjamin Rosenbaum
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.