The growth of the field of eating disorder research has led to a vast array of empirical articles, and the development of new animal models that can be used to study these disorders continues to stimulate new research. Animal Models of Eating Disorders serves as a collection of detailed techniques contributed by experts in the field who are well-versed in the development and implementation of these models. Since eating disorders are complex and likely due to a combination of environmental, genetic, and social causes, the detailed chapters of this volume have been designed to highlight different contributing factors. Collectively, these chapters give a comprehensive and representative overview of both recently developed and classic methodologies used in the study of eating disorders. Written for the popular Neuromethods series, this work contains the kind of thorough description and implementation advice that promises successful results. Authoritative and practical, Animal Models of Eating Disorders aims to aid researchers in the use of animal models to assist in their investigation and characterization of the behaviors and neurochemical alterations associated with these devastating disorders.
A food addiction expert reveals definitive proof that sugar is addictive, and presents the first science-based plan to cut out the sugar, stop the cravings that cause most diets to eventually fail, and lose weight--permanently. Most diets work for a while...but there usually comes a point when the dieter can't maintain the strict dietary changes required to lose additional pounds or keep the weight off. Why? Because cravings take over and, as with cigarettes or drugs, the pull becomes too strong to resist. In Why Diets Fail, Dr. Nicole M. Avena explains that sugar addiction underlies those cravings and shares a revolutionary plan for going sugar-free and sticking to the diet during the make-or-break withdrawal period. Dr. Avena's easy-to-use sugar table expresses the amount of sugar in 600+ common foods so dieters know precisely what to eat and what to avoid, and co-author John Talbott shares his personal story (and tips for success) about quitting sugar and losing 50 pounds along with his cravings for nicotine and alcohol.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.