- Table View
- List View
"We owe kids explanations, its part of our responsibility as parents and educators." says Nikki Sian-Leigh Aksamit, author of "Mommy, What is Dead?" "Children can comprehend and understand a lot more than most people give them credit for, especially preschoolers. Kids need answers when they are confused and grieving over the loss of a loved one." "Mommy, What is Dead?" (copyright June 2007) is a fifteen page illustrated book explaining death and dying, aimed at preschoolers and young children. It explains the difference between body and soul, and the various ways people and animals die. Taking no religious stance, it offers two of the most common beliefs as to what happens to the soul after death ("heaven" and reincarnation). "Mommy, What is Dead?" offers comfort by telling children that our memories are the way love continues on. With gentle text, and simple illustrations, young children instantly understand its message. "Mommy, What is Dead?" was written in the hopes of becoming a tool for parents, care givers, teachers and educators to use to provide clarity and comfort to young children who are dealing with the loss of a loved one, pet or to help answer some of the difficult questions they have about death.
The author of "Mommy, What is Dead?", Nikki Sian-Leigh Aksamit, has added "Mommy, What is Deaf?" as the next book in her "Mommy, What is...?" series. Aimed at preschool age children, "Mommy, What is Deaf?" explains sound, the definition of "deaf", and all the reasons why some people can not hear. With straight forward text, and uncomplicated drawings, young children easily understand how the ears work, and why in some people they do not. Kids are also challenged to "feel" the sounds around them, as deaf people do.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.