- Table View
- List View
"We owe kids explanations, its part of our responsibility as parents and educators." says Nikki Sian-Leigh Aksamit, author of "Mommy, What is Dead?" "Children can comprehend and understand a lot more than most people give them credit for, especially preschoolers. Kids need answers when they are confused and grieving over the loss of a loved one." "Mommy, What is Dead?" (copyright June 2007) is a fifteen page illustrated book explaining death and dying, aimed at preschoolers and young children. It explains the difference between body and soul, and the various ways people and animals die. Taking no religious stance, it offers two of the most common beliefs as to what happens to the soul after death ("heaven" and reincarnation). "Mommy, What is Dead?" offers comfort by telling children that our memories are the way love continues on. With gentle text, and simple illustrations, young children instantly understand its message. "Mommy, What is Dead?" was written in the hopes of becoming a tool for parents, care givers, teachers and educators to use to provide clarity and comfort to young children who are dealing with the loss of a loved one, pet or to help answer some of the difficult questions they have about death.
The author of "Mommy, What is Dead?", Nikki Sian-Leigh Aksamit, has added "Mommy, What is Deaf?" as the next book in her "Mommy, What is...?" series. Aimed at preschool age children, "Mommy, What is Deaf?" explains sound, the definition of "deaf", and all the reasons why some people can not hear. With straight forward text, and uncomplicated drawings, young children easily understand how the ears work, and why in some people they do not. Kids are also challenged to "feel" the sounds around them, as deaf people do.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.