- Table View
- List View
Carrie and Nick were evacuees. It was World War II, and when the bombs started falling on London the children had been sent to stay with Councillor Evans and his sister, Lou, in Wales. Aunty Lou was nice, if timid, but Councillor Evans was an ogre: he made the children use the dank earth closet at the bottom of the garden, and forbade them to tread on the carpet when they went up the stairs. Their real adventure began when they went along the railway line to Druid's Bottom, where they met Albert Sandwich and Hepzibah Green and Johnny Gotobed. There was the screaming skull, too, and funny old Mrs Gotobed, who never left her room and wore her ancient ball-gowns all the time. But everything came to an end one day, the day Carrie did a dreadful thing, the worst thing of her life.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.