An Assessment of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's National Environmental Performance Track Programby Rena Rudavsky Noreen Clancy Nicholas Burger Christopher Nelson Scott Hassell
This report addresses the conceptual basis, design, and implementation of the National Environmental Performance Track program. The voluntary program sought to encourage facilities to improve their environmental performance and provide a more collaborative relationship between facilities and regulators. While the program had mixed success, EPA should continue to seek out new approaches to complement and enhance traditional regulatory approaches.
Case studies of twelve existing human biospecimen repositories performed to evaluate their utility for genomics- and proteomics-based cancer research and to identify "best practices" in collection, processing, annotation, storage, privacy, ethical concerns, informed consent, business plans, operations, intellectual property rights, public relations, marketing, and education that would be useful in designing a national biospecimen network.
Choosing a New Organization for Management and Disposition of Commercial and Defense High-Level Radioactive Materialsby Lynn E. Davis Michael D. Greenberg Tom Latourrette Laurel E. Miller Noreen Clancy Debra Knopman Paul Steinberg Bruce R. Nardulli Abby Doll Zhimin Mao
Finding ways to safely store and ultimately dispose of nuclear waste remains a matter of considerable debate. This volume describes the steps needed to design a new, single-purpose organization to manage and dispose of commercial and defense high-level radioactive materials and examines three models for such an organization--federal government corporation, federally chartered private corporation, and independent government agency.
This report explores the extent to which hedge funds create or contribute to systemic risk, the role they played in the financial crisis, and whether and how the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and ConsumerProtection Act of 2010 addresses the potential systemic risks posed by hedge funds.
These proceedings summarize the key themes and issues raised during a symposium on September 24, 2012, hosted by the RAND Center for Corporate Ethics and Governance. Discussion focused on the ways in which hedge funds might contribute to systemic risk and the extent to which recent financial reforms address these potential risks. Participants included thought leaders from industry, government, and academia.
In theory, financial professionals are relatively distinct: A broker-dealer conducts transactions in securities on behalf of itself and others; and an investment adviser provides advice to others regarding securities. Different laws regulate each type of professional, but boundaries have blurred. This report examines current business practices and investor understanding of each type.
The Treasury Executive Office for Asset Forfeiture (TEOAF) administers the Treasury Forfeiture Fund (TFF), which receives deposits of nontax forfeitures made by current and former Treasury agencies. Participating agencies use TFF funds to disrupt and dismantle criminal enterprises. This report examines the relationship between targeted funding support of major financial investigations and the forfeiture outcomes of such investigations.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.