- Table View
- List View
With over 100 million viewers, Jack Barron's call-in talk show is the perfect platform for reform. But every man has his price, and a cryogenics millionaire is making Jack an offer he can't refuse ... immortality. Denounced on the floor of Parliament as depraved, Bug Jack Barron penetrates to the heart of the shadowland where media and po.itics meet. And explode.
An epic tale of the self-discovery of Wendi Shasta Leonardo, a wanderer in the Second Starfaring Age.
A major triumph of historical fiction,The Druid King, is a masterly retelling of the life of the legendary general Vercingetorix and his brilliant crusade against the Roman invasion of Gaul. Vercingetorix was both a man of myth and a real historical figure--he managed, where others had failed, to unite the tribes of Gaul and lead them against the might of the entire Roman empire. After watching his father's harrowing death, young Vercingetorix retreats to the forest where he learns the ways of the druids. Soon he must return to civilization to reclaim his birthright and his father's honor, but the city of his birth has changed. Now, he must confront the greatest military power the world has even known--the Roman legions of Julius Ceasar. This is the story of Vercingetorix, Druid King of Gaul.
For 300 years the Solarians had isolated themselves from the galaxy with the promise to reappear one day to bring human victory. Now, with the very existence of the human race at stake in a war with the machine-like beings of the computer worlds, they re-emerged with a completely new social order...
This book contains three novellas: Threads of Time by Greg Benford, The Marathon Photograph by Clifford Simak, Riding the Torch by Norman Spinrad and an Introduction by Robert Silverberg. In "Threads of Time," Gregory Benford introduces the reader to a crisis at a moon station, where a mysterious domelike structure has been discovered and threatens all who try to approach it. Veteran science fiction writer Clifford D. Simak gives us "The Marathon Photograph," the story of two scientists who stumble on time travelers from four hundred million years in the past. And Norman Spinrad in "Riding the Torch" creates for us a world long sick of its own evil, which dies only to be reborn, with a second chance to redeem itself.
In the Second Starfaring Age, humans travel the universe via a technology they barely understand, propelled by a mysterious space drive linked to a living woman, the Void Pilot. Pilots live only for the timeless moments of Transition, when their ships cross the emptiness of space in an instant. Now Void Pilot Dominique Alia Wu has begun to catch a glimpse of something more, something transcendent in that eternal moment ... and she needs the cooperation of her Captain to achieve it. Even at risk to the survival of the Ship. Norman Spinrad has been one of SF's most adventurous writers since the 1960s. His epic of the Second Starfaring Age, comprised of The Void Captain's Tale and the later novel Child of Fortune (forthcoming from Orb), forms a single epic praised by the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction as "an eroticized vision of the Galaxy ... an elated Wanderjahr among the sparkling worlds". Copyright © Libri GmbH. All rights reserved.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.