- Table View
- List View
The yearly volumes of Censored, in continuous publication since 1976 and since 1995 available through Seven Stories Press, is dedicated to the stories that ought to be top features on the nightly news, but that are missing because of media bias and self-censorship. The top stories are listed democratically in order of importance according to students, faculty, and a national panel of judges. Each of the top stories is presented at length, alongside updates from the investigative reporters who broke the stories.
Norman Solomon's succinct book is an ideal introduction to Judaism as a religion and way of life. In addition to surveying the nature and development of Judaism, this Very Short Introduction outlines the basics of practical Judaism -- its festivals, prayers, customs, and various sects. Modern concerns and debates of the Jewish people are also addressed, such as the impact of the Holocaust, the establishment of the State of Israel, the status of women, and medical and commercial ethics.
(From the book jacket) LIKE THE REST OF THE BABY-BOOM generation, Norman Solomon grew up in a nation of dazzling progress and ominous shadows. Behind the upbeat TV shows and glib optimism there lurked private anguish and the specter of nuclear holocaust. Young people confronted a divisive war in Vietnam and distress in their own lives. Now, several decades later, Americans face similar divisions and a potentially endless "war on terror." Blending personal history and social commentary, Made Love, Got War documents five decades of rising American militarism and the media's all-too-frequent failure to challenge it. The author's unique weave of eyewitness narrative and historical inquiry, Daniel Ellsberg notes in the foreword, "helps us understand where we are now and how we got here."
in this provocative book, Norman solomon presents compelling arguments for how American politicians and the political and military establishment use the mass media as propaganda vehicles to promote military action. Using examples from Republican and Democratic administrations, solomon shows how the same themes are used over and over again to promote going to war and to muzzle critics.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.