- Table View
- List View
We must recognize all people for whom they truly are and not for the characters they pretend to be. A motion picture mogul learns that everyone in his life, including his Emmy-nominated wife, are out to gain more than his multimillionaire estate can buy. Motion-picture mogul Parrish Clovis learns that everyone is in his life by design-- including Hana Kafka, his wife. In just a few short hours, Parrish's affluent life takes a downward plunge into a seedy world that lands him on the front page of every newspaper in America. He's been accused of the unthinkable. One problem, though--he can't remember brutally assaulting and raping his wife. In order for Hana and a crew of out-of-work actors to drain Parrish's multimillion- dollar estate, they must first set the stage for Parrish to murder his sister by tricking him into thinking he's really going to kill the woman he was forced to hate: Hana. Parrish, however, discovers the con. He throws an ingenious twist in the script that will either win him an Oscar...or get him a closed-casket funeral.
A crippled economy changes Lola Jones's silver spoon status to copper and threatens to rip her sheltered family from the upper echelons of society, dropping them into the rotten bowels of East St. Louis. Only one thing can save Lola's children from the claws of poverty, and that comes in the form of a million-dollar insurance policy. It, however, is just a useless piece of paper unless she's dead. With that in mind, Lola vows to make the ultimate sacrifice for her children's well-being. There are two problems: She doesn't have the guts to kill herself, and her insurance doesn't pay out on suicides. With only days left before her family learns the true meaning of homelessness, Lola turns to Blasé, a desensitized hit man with a "no turning back" policy, to execute her murder. To foot Blasé's upfront bill, Lola seeks prostitution. It's not long before the hole that she has already dug gets deeper. Living on the erotic edge leads her to an unforgettable sexual encounter with Mannish Major, a lonely married man with skeletons swinging in his closet. Their tryst explodes into a full-blown love affair that renews Lola's will to live and to face the adversities of life head on. But not even a budding romance will cancel the expiration date Blasé has set on Lola's soul. Now Lola and Mannish must make a final and desperate attempt to stop the hit man, or else they will die trying.
A fast-paced tale of greed-- Push Comes to Shove examines the pitfalls and struggles that an honest family faces to survive the perils of financial woes. The bills are due again for Greg "GP" Patterson, but this time, they won't get paid. He and his wife are facing robbery charges when a simple assault they committed goes bad. After a few days in jail, the Pattersons lose everything they own and risk losing their children forever. Luckily Aunty Jewels bails the Pattersons out, but GP must make some serious moves if he is to provide decent shelter for his family again. A visit to Squeeze, a villainous loan shark, leads to killer interest rates and a murderous default penalty. Nevertheless, GP accepts the terms. When GP gives Jewels the loan money to flip in a high-stakes credit card scheme, she gets robbed for every single dime. Now GP has to figure out how to pay his debt and gain the respect of his family again, but in the meantime, Jewels has already figured out how to make everybody pay. An entertaining, multicultural drama, Push Comes to Shove is a cautionary tale for today's economically fraught times.
A major player in the narcotics business doesn't learn that the woman who stole his heart is an undercover DEA agent...until it's too late. The divorce decree delivered to Limbo's Pennsylvania prison cell was the consequence of a single bad decision: choosing the streets instead of his family. Limbo's downward spiral gained momentum after a group of miscreant federal agents ruined his livelihood. But that only fueled his ambition to win. Now Limbo has one thing in mind: getting back to the streets with his notorious entourage, the Crips, to rebuild his empire and replenish his family's wealth, even if it means murder. The unprincipled agents have other plans, though. They have laid a compelling trap that's certain to put Limbo behind bars forever--Rhapsody, a gorgeous white woman. Things spin out of control, though, when a purely sexual encounter turns into an intimate love affair. White Heat examines a convicted felon's narcotics business, sexual exploits, violent encounters, and dealings with state and federal officials who act above the law.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.