Two novellas--Mary H. Schaub's "Exile," in which a disfigured witch struggles to regain her powers, and P. M. Griffin's "Falcon Hope," in which two unlikely allies try to save their peoples from extinction--are accompanied by "The Chronicler," by series creator Andre Norton.
Launches Captain Jellico and the crew of the Solar Queen on their most treacherous expedition yet.
Commando-Colonel Islaen Connor is working undercover to investigate an illegal colony on the planet Vishnu. Warned by her foremost opponent in the recent galactic War, War Prince and former Arcturian admiral Varn Tarl Sogan, the pair escape ambush and flee into the unexplored wild country beyond the young settlement. There, as they struggle to survive in a harsh, perilous land, they discover the living terror against which all Vishnu's other life forms have been forced to adapt. Their presence unknown by interstellar authorities and, therefore, unsupported, the innocent colonists face certain and gruesome annihilation unless Connor and Sogan can raise the alarm in time and then conquer in the desperate battle they must wage to hold back and defeat a foe that they know to be of nearly elemental power in its hunger-driven determination and inconceivable numbers.
In the wake of their defeat of Pagin of Karsten, the Witches of Estcarp await news of those who have been lost or gone missing since the battle, and a young Sulcar woman awakens to her Power--only to do battle with an ancient evil.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.