- Table View
- List View
This up-to-minute book follows the story of Barbaro, the Triple Crown contender whose unlikely fight back from almost certain death from a shattered leg and ensuing complications captured the hearts of a nation who responded with a stunning display of love. In 132 years of derby races, only 11 horses have won the Triple Crown, the last in 1978. Barbaro was a favorite to be the twelfth until May 20, 2006, at the Preakness Stakes, when his jockey, Edgar Prado pulled him up a couple of hundred yards from the starting gate. Subsequent examination revealed that he had virtually exploded bones in his right rear leg so badly that under normal conditions he would have been euthanized right on the track. But his owners, Roy and Gretchen Jackson, chose another path, one filled with anxiety and tears-but also courageous determination to save his life. This touching, soaring book-filled with insights from Barbaro's trainers, breeders, caretakers, and owners-follows Barbaro from foal to colt to champion to perfect patient. But In the end it is not just a story of a down-but-not-out champion, but of human beings at their very best.
A comprehensive guide to environmental and wildlife volunteer programs throughout the world. This unique site-by-site guide profiles more than 300 programs where volunteers can work in a variety of activities involving conservation and study of wildlife. From the Fur Seal Project of the Earthwatch Institute in St. George Island, Alaska, or identifying and tracking wildlife in the Limpopo Nature Reserve, South Africa, to Blue World Institute's Adriatic Dolphin Project in Croatia, to the tracking program of the Open Minded Project in Kaeng Krachan National Park, Thailand, readers will learn the best ways to "give back" and make the most positive environmental impact during their travels. Each entry includes a profile of the site and organization behind it, as well as location, contact information, category, costs, dates and duration, how to apply, and field notes that include any special concerns, requirements for participation, and suitability.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.