- Table View
- List View
Ninth installment in the Helen Black mystery series. Helen finds a dead body and the police think she's the murderer.
When Leslie Merrick falls to her death from a window, the verdict is suicide. But Helen Black discovers the corporation she worked for is rife with tensions and treacheries. Could she have fallen accidentally?Or is Helen being set up to take the fall?
Christmas in Berkeley is grim for Helen Black Private Investigator. Clients are scarce and her lover doesn't like Helen's new career. Then Helen lands her first important case: A wealthy lesbian whose lover is a murder suspect. Pat Welch's first novel.
To most people, a call in the middle of the night means family trouble. But Helen Black's family disowned her years ago. But the call is indeed from Helen's family. Great Aunt Ruth has passed on, and, inexplicably, left Helen her house. And so Helen journeys from Berkeley, from partner Frieda, to return to her roots in Mississippi. To look once more into the face of the father who repudiated her. Into the face of the woman who was her childhood sweetheart and is now a cop. But Helen finds far more than she could ever imagine. A dying grandfather, and small town secrets, one of them contained in the very house that is now hers. She finds murder, and submerged intrigue that harkens all the way back to a deeply stained period of history in the American south.
Fifth book in the series; lesbian detective.
An unsettling new case for Helen Black. Helen and Frieda are at a luxury lakeside resort for a weekend that will, hopefully, mark a new beginning. A weekend to heal the growing rift between them. The discovery of the battered body of a news reporter on the sandy beach changes everything. Because the victim is an old friend of Helen's, the weekend suddenly turns into a murder investigation and a new case for Private Investigator Helen Black. Does the story the reporter was working on hold the key? Or is her death an ex-lover's revenge? And what of the attractive, frightened Maria and her link with the enigmatic priest, Father John? Seemingly everyone has secrets. The apparently successful resort is in financial trouble. The hotel guests have their own frictions and deceptions. The angelic beauty of the owner's daughter masks dark needs...and is a new element to threaten the fragile relationship between Helen and Frieda.
Former cop Helen Black returns home from prison only to find dull temp jobs. She meets Alice one night at a local bar. Shortly after their brief encounter, she stops by Alice's apartment, only to find the woman dead and herself on the hot seat.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.