When Abigail Adams was born, women were expected to be just wives and mothers. But Abigail turned out to be so much more. Read all about the fascinating life of our nation's second First Lady -- a woman who helped shape the early history of the United States. Level 3 Ready to Read, 48 pages, limited picture descriptions.
Sun! Sam, Pam, Will and Jill are hot and sweaty. It's the perfect day for the beach. And once they've put on their swimsuits and packed a picnic lunch, they're off! But with Sam, Pam, Will and Jill, nothing is as easy as it seems. Will they actually make it to the beach?
Clara Barton was very shy and sensitive, and not always sure of herself. But her fighting spirit and desire to help others drove her to become one of the world's most famous humanitarians. Learn all about the life of the woman who formed the American Red Cross.
Early one morning, when it is still dark, a young boy wakes to his special alarm clock. He puts on his hearing aids and clothes, then goes to wake his father. Together they brave the cold as they walk down the dirt road that leads to the beach. They are excited about their adventure--soon they will see the sunrise.
Find out how a little boy named Ehrich Weiss became Harry Houdini -- the greatest magician the world has ever known!
It is a beautiful summer afternoon. Helen and her teacher have climbed a tree. While Helen waits for her teacher to get some snacks, a thunder storm strikes!
Max and Mo are tired of eating corn. Luckily the big ones -- the kids -- just went apple picking. Everyone knows you can make applesauce with apples, but is there anything else you can make with them?
Written especially for a young audience, a must-read biography of Steve Jobs: visionary, entrepreneur, inventor, and cofounder of Apple.Visionary. Pioneer. Little terror. Entrepreneur. Inventor. College dropout. Creative genius. These are just a few of the words used to describe the late Steve Jobs, cofounder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Apple Inc. Available in both paperback and hardcover, Patricia Lakin's biography for middle-grade readers tells the captivating and inspirational story of the 'Thomas Edison' of our time.
Written especially for a young audience, a must-read biography of Steve Jobs: visionary, entrepreneur, inventor, and cofounder of Apple. Visionary. Pioneer. Little terror. Entrepreneur. Inventor. College dropout. Creative genius. These are just a few of the words used to describe the late Steve Jobs, cofounder, chairman, and chief executive officer of Apple Inc.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.