- Table View
- List View
Language Awareness collects seventy-seven classic and contemporary readings -- by author ranging from George Orwell to Toni Morrison -- treating the connections between language and politics, gender, media, technology, advertising, and prejudice. New Language Debates offer clusters of readings that treat one of three hot-button issues: "Should learning be censored?"; "Should English be the law?"; and "What's all the fuss about natural, organic, local foods?" Detailed guidance on effective reading, writing, and research habits and abundant suggestions for writing and discussion help students make the most of what they read as they develop as writers.
It's a simple, best-selling combination that has worked for over 20 years -- short, accessible essays and helpful, thorough writing instruction. Models for Writerscontinues to offer thought-provoking selections organized to demonstrate not only the rhetorical patterns that students will use in their own essays but also the elements and language that will make those essays effective.
It's a simple, best-selling combination that has worked for thousands of students -- short, accessible essays and helpful, thorough writing instruction. Models for Writers continues to offer thought-provoking selections organized to demonstrate not only the rhetorical patterns that students will use in their own essays but also the elements and language that will make those essays effective. This edition offers more coverage of the key elements of academic writing, including new strategies for writing a research paper and a section on writing a reflective essay. Read the preface.
Models for Writers is designed to help you learn to write by providing you with a collection of model essays--that is, essays that are examples of good writing.
Subject & Strategyhelps students write by offering engaging, teachable readings supported by time-tested pedagogy. Its mix of beloved classics and timely current readings provides exceptional models of writing. Its proven advice on writing and reading, innovative classroom exercises, and engaging writing assignments guide students to choose the rhetorical strategy that best suits their subject and then to use that strategy to achieve their writing purpose. Features include annotated student essays in each mode, extensive apparatus supporting every selection, and a "Writers on Writing" chapter that helps students see themselves as writers. And this classic reader is priced $15-30 less than similar competing readers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.