- Table View
- List View
It's the murder case that has caught the attention of the world's media like no other in recent memory - the brutal slaying of young British student Meredith Kercher in the apartment she shared with three other girls in Perugia, Italy, in November 2007. Standing trial accused of this gruesome act are two young people: 21-year-old Amanda Knox and her 24-year-old Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito. Prosecutors allege that during a group sex game which turned violent, Miss Knox used a kitchen knife to stab the Leeds University student in the neck while she was being held down by Mr Sollecito and sexually assaulted by a second man, Ivory Coast-born Rudy Guede. Guede, 22, was found guilty of murder and sexual assault in a separate trial in October 2008 and sentenced to 30 years in jail. Kercher was a model student whilst American Knox, nicknamed 'Foxy Knoxy' for her football skills, has acquired a reputation for fast living and hard partying, which has fuelled specualtion about her character. The trial is ongoing in Italy, and further details will emerge about this highly complex case. A verdict is expected in late July. Whatever the outcome, the events surrounding the murder and the accused's alleged behaviour are nothing less than sensational.
Widely praised for his deft prose and brilliant characterizations, Paul Russell has become increasingly regarded as one of the finest contemporary American novelists. Now, with War Against the Animals , he returns with his richest, most accomplished, and most compelling work yet. Living in small town in upstate New York, middle-aged Cameron Barnes has, after almost dying, recently recovered a measure of health and is trying to find a way to reenter the world outside. As part of this, Cameron hires two local brothers in their early twenties, Jesse and Kyle, to renovate a barn on his property. Kyle sees an opportunity in Cameron, pushing his brother Jesse to befriend him and take advantage of Cameron's boredom and directionlessness. Caught between the opposing worlds embodied by Cameron and Kyle, Jesse is torn by the demands of his brother, the expectations of his family and community, and his own mix of volatile, contradictory emotions.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.