- Table View
- List View
Rough yet romantic, racy yet a nice and slow one-handed read, Best Gay Erotica 2013 is yet another jewel in the crown of Cleis Press's gay erotica.
It's the murder case that has caught the attention of the world's media like no other in recent memory - the brutal slaying of young British student Meredith Kercher in the apartment she shared with three other girls in Perugia, Italy, in November 2007. Standing trial accused of this gruesome act are two young people: 21-year-old Amanda Knox and her 24-year-old Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito. Prosecutors allege that during a group sex game which turned violent, Miss Knox used a kitchen knife to stab the Leeds University student in the neck while she was being held down by Mr Sollecito and sexually assaulted by a second man, Ivory Coast-born Rudy Guede. Guede, 22, was found guilty of murder and sexual assault in a separate trial in October 2008 and sentenced to 30 years in jail. Kercher was a model student whilst American Knox, nicknamed 'Foxy Knoxy' for her football skills, has acquired a reputation for fast living and hard partying, which has fuelled specualtion about her character. The trial is ongoing in Italy, and further details will emerge about this highly complex case. A verdict is expected in late July. Whatever the outcome, the events surrounding the murder and the accused's alleged behaviour are nothing less than sensational.
In his novel based on the extraordinary life of the brother of Vladimir Nabokov, Paul Russell re-creates the rich and changing world in which Sergey, his family and friends lived; from wealth and position in pre-revolutionary Russia to the halls of Cambridge University and the Parisian salon of Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas. But it is the honesty and vulnerability of Sergey, our young gay narrator, that hook the reader: his stuttering childhood in the shadow of his brilliant brother, his opium-fueled evenings with Cocteau, his troubled love life on the margins of the Ballets Russes and its legendary cast, and his isolation in war-torn Berlin.A meticulously researched novel, featuring an extraordinary cast of characters (including Picasso, Diaghilev, Stravinsky, Magnus Hirschfield, and of course the master himself, Vladimir Nabokov), this is ultimately the story of a beautiful and vulnerable boy growing into an enlightened and courageous man.
Widely praised for his deft prose and brilliant characterizations, Paul Russell has become increasingly regarded as one of the finest contemporary American novelists. Now, with War Against the Animals , he returns with his richest, most accomplished, and most compelling work yet. Living in small town in upstate New York, middle-aged Cameron Barnes has, after almost dying, recently recovered a measure of health and is trying to find a way to reenter the world outside. As part of this, Cameron hires two local brothers in their early twenties, Jesse and Kyle, to renovate a barn on his property. Kyle sees an opportunity in Cameron, pushing his brother Jesse to befriend him and take advantage of Cameron's boredom and directionlessness. Caught between the opposing worlds embodied by Cameron and Kyle, Jesse is torn by the demands of his brother, the expectations of his family and community, and his own mix of volatile, contradictory emotions.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.