- Table View
- List View
From the Book jacket: In simple words and brilliant paintings that sweep and stam pede across his pages, Paul Goble tells of a Native American girl's love of horses. Her people saw that she understood the herd in a special way. The horses would follow her to drink at the river. And in the hot sun she would sleep con tentedly beside them as they grazed among flowers near her village. One day a thunderstorm drove the girl and the horses far from home, and the people were frightened. The girl was lost beneath strange, moonlit cliffs; yet, next morning, she was glad, for a beautiful stallion who was the leader of the wild horses wel comed her to live with them. PAUL GOBLE is in Residence at the Gall Indian and Western Arts at Mt. Rushmore National Memorial in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Among his other books are: THE FRIENDLY WOLF "A young Plains Indian boy and his sister, bored with berry-picking, wander off and become lost. They take overnight shelter in a wolfs den, and, in answer to their pleas for help, the wolf leads them home. Their tribe honors the wolf and declares friendship with the wolf people ... The clear text is complemented by colorful, full-page illustrations which present accurate, richly detailed information about Indian life...A splendid resource for children..." School Library Journal (starred review) LONE BULL'S HORSE RAID "The Plains Indians needed horses for hunting buffalo and hauling their possessions...This story tells of Lone Bull's first horse raid and the battle it led to, which enabled Lone Bull to stand before his people as a warrior. . .Magnificent color illustrations full of rich detail... in this excellently designed, honest portrayal of the Indian point of view." School Library Journal (starred review)
A collection of three stories about Native Americans: Her Seven Brothers, The Gift of the Sacred Dog, and The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.